No announcement yet.

User accounts Gone - Help!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User accounts Gone - Help!

We have a 2002 Dell Dimension 4400 running Windows XP home edition, on 10/31 we shut it down before bed & everything seemed fine, although lately it had been running unusually slow at times.

The next morning when I turned it on it booted up normal until it came to the blue screen where the user accounts should have been - Everything looked normal except none of the user accounts were listed on the screen??

Of course without being able to log on into an account it's just a big black dusty night light.

I've tried many times to restart it, unplug it, shut it down completely for a bit and turn it back on, open the case and spray the dust out and even kick it a few times... No changes :Oo

I've pressed the Alt,Ctrl,Delete twice to bring up the log on screen, but I do not have a password to enter & it won't continue from there without one & also pressed F8 at start up but I confess that I'm not exactly sure what to do with it when I'm at this screen?

Can anyone suggest anything to HELP!!!

Tall Guy

Re: User accounts Gone - Help!

I would suggest you take the HDD out of the PC, attach it to another machine, save all your data, email, favourites etc and then do a Factory Restore. If your system was running slow and then your logon screen doesn't come up, then you may have been infected with something nasty.

If you do what I suggest, make sure the PC you put your HDD into has the latest anti virus and operating system updates. Also if you do a Factory Restore, install the anti virus (and updates) BEFORE you bring your data back. Who knows what may be hiding in a file.

Wait a couple of days for other suggestions as mine is really a last resort option.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

A quicker, more simple test (before doing what Biggles said) would be to boot from the XP CD, get into the recovery console, and run "chkdsk /r" from the command prompt.

You might simply have some corrupted files that this can fix. If it's this simple, you'll be a happy guy. If it fails, Biggles' advice is sound.

1. Follow Chris' (WorldBuilder) advice

...if that doesn't work then

-F8 -> Safe Mode
        -Check event log for errors
        -clean volumes of unnecessary files
        -run anti-malware programs (like Norton and Ad-aware)
        -uninstall programs you don't use

3. F8 -> Lask Known Good

4. Follow Chris' (biggles77) advice

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond