Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Windows 2000 or XP

Hello everybody!!!

Why is my hard disc, already running windows 2000 or XP on one PC won't work on another PC?

rgds.

Re: Running Windows 2000 or XP

Is there any hardware differences?

I belive you could get away with a different network card or graphics card but when the motherboard is different I believe you will run into problems.

If the hardware was identical I dont see any problems

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Running Windows 2000 or XP

Motherboard chipset and processor family directly affect the hardware abstraction layer (HAL).

You may be able to get the drive to work in the new system by doing a repair (not the recovery console). I have done this to move to newer hardware in the past with success. Your mileage may vary. Something of this nature is always a risky manuever so I'd take an image backup before attempting.

Here is a recent post on the repair process with a good link on how to proceed:

Originally Posted by arberibrahimi
      Instead of using recovery console, try windows repair. If windows xp instalation finds your existing crashed XP use windows repair.

Windows repair most of times saves your documents and only repairs errors.

Here is a link that can help in this case:
      http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Tell me if this was helpfull
      Good luck.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X