Decryption problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decryption problem

I have encrypted some files in My Documents (which was redirected to D: drive) in Windows XP SP2. Windows crashed and I have reinstalled it. Files are now colored in green and inaccessable, message is "access is denied".
    I have not saved decry... key.

My PC was standalone workstation...(it was not part of domain)

How can I regain access to those files again?
    Last edited by kojo1984; 4th November 2006, 22:45.

Re: Decryption problem

As far as I am aware, you can't... that's kinda the whole point of encryption, right? To stop a user account who didn't encrypt the files from reading them? Even if your new user account has the same name, and the PC has the same name as before, the SID for your user account will be totally different; and therefore any attempt to decrypt will be denied.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I know how it goes. There is application named EFS recovery.. could help me... just need to find it....

Comment

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

Claims to be able to "instantly" decrypt files encrypted with Windows... even when Windows is protected with SYSKEY.

The only question I will ask is, "If it were this easy, why would Windows Encryption be in use in Enterprises across the globe?". It's worth a try though... just make a backup copy first.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Don't think you will be able to retrieve those files if you don't have a copy f your key and no available DRA..

Don't know about those 3rd party decryption tools :s

Comment

Working...
          X