WinXP intermittent DNS issues - nslookup and ping disagree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP intermittent DNS issues - nslookup and ping disagree

I recently replaced a Windows 2003 SBS with a Windows 2003 standard server running Active Directory and DNS server. It is also running an Imap mail server.
    I created an A record in the DNS server for mail.domain.local pointing to the server's IP.

I configured the XP (sp2) workstations (which are part of the domain) to look to the local server for DNS (the ISP's DNS server is set as a secondary), and configured the Outlook profile to use the mail server at mail.domain.local.

Sometimes the user reports that Outlook hangs on opening. When this happens she can still get to the server's file shares and surf the web. She usually waits about 2 hours and can then get into her email using Outlook. During this time other people have no problems.

The last time this happened I got on her computer and typed ping mail.domain.local and got "ping request could not find host mail.domain.local" after a long pause. Then I pinged the server by IP and got a response. I started nslookup, typed mail.domain.local and immediately got the server's IP address (from the DNS server running on the same server.) I immediately exited nslookup and typed ping mail.domain.local and got the same error message: "ping request could not find host mail.domain.local"
    I then got called away and the problem had vanished by the time I returned. (ping by name works and Outlook works). The computer had not been restarted nor had the server.)

There are no entries in the Hosts or lmhosts files. The workstation is using DHCP and has nothing in the TCP/IP properties that is non-default. The DHCP server does not hand out a WINS server. (The old server ran WINS, but has been shut down and reformatted.) The new server has a different IP and name than the old one. There were no errors in the server's Event viewer during this time. There is only one DNS server on the network.

Does this make any sense at all? Why would her computer not be able to ping the name when it can resolve it using nslookup?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: WinXP intermittent DNS issues - nslookup and ping disagree

Is this happening on the one workstation or is it intermitant one different workstations?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles,
      It happens itermittently on the same 2 workstations. It seems to never happen to the other 10 workstations.

Comment

First thing i would do is remove the ISP's DNS from the clients and setup forwarders on your server.

Then i would use ipconfig /flushdns to flush the DNS cache.

Then i would try again.

Comment

Thanks Wullieb1. I'll try that. The reason I have the ISP's dns as secondaries is because I only have 1 local DNS server and it would be helpful to still have internet access from the workstations if the server is offline. I'll see if it makes a difference.

Comment

In that case it's better to setup a second internal DNS server.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X