Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed Hard Drive with unactivated Windows XP Pro

Sup evrybody.

As you can most probably guess from the topic, I have a massive problem! I did have Windows XP Pro installed on the drive, but it got damaged somehow (not sure how). I then tried the Windows XP Repair function on the installation disk, only to quadruppel my problems!! The repair didn't work (duh), and it asked me to activate Windows again! System became unstable and I had to restart. After restarting, it completely bypassed the whole thirty-day grace period, and didn't wanna log me on to Windows unless i activated it. Problem is, if I try to log into that Windows installation, my system hangs by the forth keypress when entering the password.

I have some important files on that Windows that I would like to get back, and even after installing a fresh copy of Windows on another drive, I can't get to the files to copy them. It keeps telling me "Unable to open. Access Denied".

Please, if anybody knows how to fix this problem, I will take all the help I can get!! Chow 4 now

Re: Crashed Hard Drive with unactivated Windows XP Pro

Try and Take Ownership of the file. Instructions are in the link.

Moved to XP Forum.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sup.

I tried to take ownership of the files, but it didn't work. It"s still telling me that access is denied. Do I have to be on the same drive but on a different profile to be able to access the files, or must I logged on on an entirely different drive? Also, this is on the same computer, not over a network.

Chow

Comment

When you taking the ownership, did you get any errors?
        Did you enable the option: "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"?
        Is the data encrypted?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi,

No I didn't. Didn't even see it! My bad. Ok, did that now, but do I have to be on the same drive, or on a different one?

Comment

Add the drive as a slave drive to an existing GOOD installation.
            Boot up and let windows install the drive. Restart your PC if asked. (Sometimes does)
            Once the drive is installed you should be able to browse it. If not follow Biggles advice and read the thread he attached.

Comment

Cool, thanks.

Gonna try that quickly. Be back in a while. Will let you know what happens.

Comment

Well guys, its amazing what you can learn if you just ask the right people! That goes without having to say that my problem is sorted out. I am a happy man again. Thanks a mil, guys

WW

Comment

Originally posted by WaterWalker View Post
                  Well guys, its amazing what you can learn if you just ask the right people! That goes without having to say that my problem is sorted out. I am a happy man again. Thanks a mil, guys

WW
                  No problem.

Glad to have helped.

Comment

Nice to hear that your problem has been solved.
                    If nothing would have worked then you would have tried this.
                    Stellar Phoenix FAT NTFS - data recovery software. It has the abilit to pulled out data from inaccessible hard drive. Worked for once facing the similar situation.
                    What I did is, I made my infected hard drive as slave run the software on different hard drive by downloading the demo version from here. Through demo version I was able to see the result. Got almost all of my data.

Comment

Working...
                    X