• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FQDN Accessing Resources on Network

Hello everyone,
    Here is my issue:
    Client: XP Pro
    Member Server: Server 2000 (not a DC)(both on AD domain)
    Trying to access resources over network (printers, shares, etc...) (using the UNC path) from client and I keep having to use the FQDN name of servers instead of just the host name. I have created entries in the host file on the client machine in hopes of resolving having to use the FQDN for every resource. (ex. \\pc-name instead of \\pc-name.domain.com). Connecting to printers I keep getting an access denied message. These issues persist even if I am logged on as local administrator or local user with Power User privileges. Microsoft's KB resolutions have not worked for printer issue.
    Note: this machine has been ghosted - but so have other machines using the exact same image. The other machines do not have this issue.

Bad NIC or bad driver??? Device Manager indicates no issues. All settings for network are correct.
    Could this be a BIOS issue?
    Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Rooster

Re: FQDN Accessing Resources on Network

Has the XP client been joined to the Domain?
    What does ipconfig /all say? (I know, it doesn't talk, but are the IPs, DNS etc all correct for the Domain?)
    Has someone edited the HOSTS. file that may be giving the client in the wrong DNS info?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If it is part of a domain it could be your DHCP server not configured with the primary DNS suffix of your domain.

If not you could always add it by:

Right click on My Network Places and select properties
      Richt click on your network adapter and select properties
      Scroll down and highligh Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties
      Click advances
      Select the DNS tab
      Click the radio button (Append these DNS suffixes(in order))
      click add
      Type in the DNS suffix of your domain i.e. domain.local
      Ok all the way to the end

Now whenever you ping on browse to a computer it will append the DNS suffix to the end of the request so:

ping computer

will actually be

ping computer.domain.local

Hope this helps.
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Chis and Michael have you going down the right trail I think.

Run ipconfig /all and look at Primary DNS Suffix, DNS Suffix Search List, and Connection-specific DNS Suffix. See what they say.

Whenever you query DNS, your computer always uses a FQDN. (this is where the DNS suffixes come in) If you don't specify an FQDN the computer will append a suffix to the query. So the domain that the computer you're connecting to needs to be in your DNS suffix list somewhere or it won't resolve.

EDIT
        Originally posted by rooster View Post
        Hello everyone,
        Connecting to printers I keep getting an access denied message. These issues persist even if I am logged on as local administrator or local user with Power User privileges. Microsoft's KB resolutions have not worked for printer issue.
        As for the printer issues, I'd check the permissions. It makes sense that you still get the same issues when you use local accounts as they don't have rights in AD.
        Last edited by JeremyW; 24th October 2006, 13:21. Reason: read more of rooster's post
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X