Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the Win XP Pro. product key with Win XP Pro. SP2

Hi Gurus,
    Im new to this group and thanks for leting me to be a part of this great community.
    I am facing a problem with my Acer Laptop which came with a Licensed copy of Windows XP Pro. Recently I upgraded it with with a Windows XP Pro. SP 2 CD. During installation when it asked for the key I entered the key which was there on the Win XP SP2 CD. But now when I tried to install the latest updates from Microsoft, it does a validation and says "The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine". From this web site I got a tool (Majicaljellybean-keyfinder) for changing the existing product key with a new one.
    What I want to know is, can I use the old key (which came with the Windows XP Pro.) here, after changing the existing Win XP SP2 key? if not what other solution is there, other than reverting back to Windows XP Pro.

thanks in advance
    Pramod

Re: Using the Win XP Pro. product key with Win XP Pro. SP2

Be careful when you answer this question. Where did you get the XP Pro SP2 CD? If it is an OEM version that you may have purchased on EBay (or similar) then your laptop key will not work with it. You need to use the Acer Recovery Disk (or option if the recovery files are on the HDD). There are several different types of XP and each type has a key specific to it and you can NOT mix the types. Without knowing your exact circumstances you may find you have breached the End User License Agreement (EULA) by doing what you have done.

If you have the Recovery CDs that come with the Acer laptop, use them and then install SP2 and the rest of the updates. If the Recovery option was on the HDD and you had to replace the HDD then you should contact Acer for the Recovery CDs. If you are certain you have purchased a legitimate copy from EBay (or similar) contact Microsoft in your country and let them know you may be the victim of software fraud. That is, someone sold your a pirate copy of the software without your knowing it.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive

If this confuses you post back with further questions.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

See this site (don't worry biggles77 they are kosher) for an explanation on how to update your CD key. For SP2, all the old utilities no longer work. If you are looking to hack or pirate anything, just move right along.

And next time post the the correct forum.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I was sure this post was in the right location last night....maybe not. The location may have been a move by me so Swamikal has the benefit of the doubt.

Lior_S, I don't think this is a key changing problem per say. I think it is more like trying to use an OEM key on a VLK CD, NOT that I an saying this is what Swamikal is trying to do. However he does have an XP Pro SP2 CD that he is trying to install on an Acer laptop using the Acer's XP Product ID. Try the XP Product ID from a Toshiba laptop on an Acer, HP, Dell or any other CD and you may find it doesn't work. These companies purchase HUGE quantities of Microsoft licenses and as such will get a pretty good discount. It stands to reason that each company's key will only work with their version of the software. (I am speculating here but I think it is a reasonable sound speculation). OEM, Full Retail and Volume Licensing software all use different keys that do NOT work in the other versions. I can't see the laptop O/S being any different.

Swamikal needs to install the Acer XP onto the Acer laptop and use the Acer XP Product ID. This also makes him compliant with the EULA.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          ...I think it is more like trying to use an OEM key on a VLK CD...
          I kinda get the same feeling about what he is trying to do.

It stands to reason that each company's key will only work with their version of the software.
          This is in fact true (from experience), and there are now versions of office that are locked to the manufacturers bios.

swamikal-
          don't bother trying, it does not work.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hello,

Better call microsoft call center and tell them your story and get the new fresh copy. and as soon as your windows get activated just keep one cop of wpa.bak and wpa.dbl. in future if you face same problem in your laptop then boot your LP in safe mode and replace the both

Bye take care
            Hearty

Comment

Working...
            X