X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2000 pro blank screen

Hello
    I have a windows 2000 pro on a Dell GX 270, 256 RAM, 40gb HD,
    The problem i have when it boots i can loggin and then after that when it loads into the desktop i get a blue screen and the mouse pointer is present but my icons will not appear i waited for it to load but it just hangs!... i when into safe mode and did a virus scan it didn't find any virus but it took like 2 hours to scan it was real slow...also while in safe mode it took a while for me to get into my computer the hour glass just hanged......

could someone please let me know if there is anything that can be done to fix this

Thanks

Re: windows 2000 pro blank screen

Try running Adaware, Spybot and an online Anti virus scan.

CHeck your RAM with Memtest
    Run Error Checking on the HDD and if it is ok Defrag it.

If that doesn't work, make sure your data is backed up and then delete the Profile. Reboot and recreate your profile.

If you are still having problems, save all your data, Favourites and anything else you can't or don't want to lose and wipe the drive and install clean.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ok thanks i will try that and if all else fails i will wipe it out and clean install

Comment

What happens if you login as someone else??

Could be something as simple as a corrupt profile.

Comment

it not working i tried the things to do and i get the same thing......
          i have a question can i reinstall win2k without wipeing out my programs that is on it and doing that maybe that would maybe reinstall some corrupt files in the process... i tried the repair feature where you type R and it said it repaired it but it didn't and i tried the console but i not similar with the command line stuff..

is there a way i can do a restore of the system without wipeing out my programs?

Comment

If it is giving you this much trouble, bite the bullet and do a clean install. Once when I was stupid (less stupid than I am now) I spent 14 hours cleaning sypware and assorted rubbish from a PC because it was taking 12 minutes to boot. WHen I had finished it was still taking 3 minutes to boot. A clean install would have taken 2 hours and it would have booted in 45 seconds. 14 hours because they didn't have the software.

I have NEVER done this again. With what I charge a new PC would have been cheaper and the client ALWAYS argues thay it cost toooooo much. Not worth the hassle. Do a clean install so long as you have ruled out hardware problems.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Just for info. The only time I've seen this happen was due to a corrupted Windows Explorer. The solution was a repair. But it all depends on what's on your PC in the first place. Personally I think Biggles gives sound advice.
              The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
              ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ok thanks fellas...i guess i would have to bite the bullet and do a clean install.

THANKS SO MUCH !

Comment

Don't forget to backup your Data, Favourites, Email and anything else like saved games (not the whole game, just the saved parts).

Check once,
                  Check twice
                  Check 3 times
                  then do.

Then remember what you forgot to save.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X