Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP SP2 - Shutdown Issue

Hello,

My home machine will not shut down properly. If I tell it to shutdown it'll sometimes begin the procedure, you'll see the usuall taskbars saying shutting down etc, and then it'll just go from the desktop to a plain blue screen and just sit there, so have to power off at the button, other times it seems to just log out and again lose the desktop picture but go straight to the blue screen without the taskbar's saying shutting down etc. Don't have any problem's booting up, can't see anything obvious causing it, perhaps a certain program or running process? Is there any tool that can log what happens when a shutdown / startup is initialized? It's starting to bug me a little now....

Cheers

Re: Windows XP SP2 - Shutdown Issue

When you logoff / shutdown do you not get an 'End Task' message saying a program was unable to shutdown properly?

Have you installed / changed anything since it started to happen?

take a look in the registry under:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This will show you what .exe's are set to run when you pc starts up and see if there is anything strange in there.

Michael

** Edit / view the registry at your own risk **
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Sometimes it'll say 'explorer.exe has terminated blah blah...' but not every time. Nothing's changed on the system. Checked the registry, all looks fine there. There's nothing in the event log's to suggest what's could be causing it either.

Comment

It's not actually a shutdown issue you have its a Power Off issue.

Unfortunately i am working on a machine with exactly the same problem.

Have a read of this. There is a shutdown patch as well.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

It may help you but unfortuantely it didn't help me.

Comment

I have this problem on my PC before and my problem was due to my USB MP3 player. I leave it connected all the time to charge and the majority of the time when shutting down my PC it just hangs unless I remove the USB MP3 player before shutting down.

Try removing any USB devices attached to your machine

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
            It's not actually a shutdown issue you have its a Power Off issue.

Unfortunately i am working on a machine with exactly the same problem.

Have a read of this. There is a shutdown patch as well.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

It may help you but unfortuantely it didn't help me.
            Thanks for that link, handy that I have tried a few things, removing all USB devices etc and a few ofthe suggestions on that site, they all didnt help. I tried the shutdown patch and it appears to have helped, although i'm still testing it at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

could be a corrupt wav file, disable all sounds.
              anything in startup/msconfig that loads using rundll32?
              delete the entries.
              how bad is the disk fragged?
              disable power saving settings
              is deletion of pagefile set to take place on shutdown in gpo?

Comment

Originally posted by UKG
                Thanks for that link, handy that I have tried a few things, removing all USB devices etc and a few ofthe suggestions on that site, they all didnt help. I tried the shutdown patch and it appears to have helped, although i'm still testing it at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.
                Kep us informed m8

Comment

Working...
                X