Change/Remove buttons in Add/Remove window

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change/Remove buttons in Add/Remove window

i am using winxp since 2001. once it crashed and it was restored in the shop were I purchased the software.
    i have noticed just now that the add/remove buttons in the add/remove window are missing (with every program listed in the window) and some new unknown programs are listed (cccommon for example). i cannot remove them. in addition my system restore feature is not operating - the message that i am getting is "..system restore incomplete" although i have used an old restore point.
    I was playing with registries (have got a backup) before i have noticed that the icons are missing. is my problem connected to the deleted or incorrect value of registry?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    shimonts

Re: Change/Remove buttons in Add/Remove window

Originally posted by ShimonTs
    I was playing with registries (have got a backup) before i have noticed that the icons are missing. is my problem connected to the deleted or incorrect value of registry?
    Have you tried restoring the registry to see if that fixes the problem?

Also, if you see programs that you don't recognize then you should scan for malware. I'm partial to Ad-Aware and Spybot 'cause they're free.... for personal use.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks JeremyM,
      Any specific addresses to be replaced or checked?
      I have also tryed to re-install the windows with my recovery CD but unfortunately my this CD is of an older version and the winXP cannot be recovered.
      Have a nice weekend.
      ShimonTs

Comment

Have you tried restoring the reg keys you deleted??

****EDIT****

I lifted this from the net

I had a similar problem and a W2K techie, obviously more competent than I, sent me these solutions to try. It worked for me. Although I did not have to perform the in-place upgrade, I did have to repair Internet Explorer (described in 26666. Good luck!

From the "Run" box try;
        regsvr32 %windir%\system32\appwiz.cpl

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\webvw.dll
        to rebuild several *.htt files

If unsuccessful try
        sfc /purgecache
        sfc /scannow

Or try the regedits described in;
        Add/Remove Programs Tool Displays Installed Programs Incorrectly
        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=266668
        Last edited by wullieb1; 8th October 2006, 09:32.

Comment

Hi Wullieb1 and thanks,
          I'll try what you have suggested but first I'll uninstall some trial downloads of WinTasks and Registry cleaner/fixer since they have got Program remove and System restore built-in features. They probably collided with thw WinXP.

Comment

Working...
          X