Upgrading Win2k and XP Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Win2k and XP Home

I have a customer with some Win2k machines. He has some licensed copies of XP Pro but I doubt they are the upgrade version. They could be corp versions because he said he had five licenses.

Can I still upgrade Win2k and retain all the original settings like you can with the upgrade version?

They also have one or two XP Home computers. Anyone know what to expect running XP Pro Corp over top of this? I know the XP Pro Upgrade works fine over XP Home.

TIA
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Upgrading Win2k and XP Home

Hi Rob.

The answers you seek are
    Yes XP should retain settings ok 2K
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/matrix.mspx

I would think it would work the same as upgrading 2K
    Unlass someone knows different ??
    Last edited by AndyUK; 25th September 2006, 13:09.
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What concerns me I am not dealing with retail versions. My customer purchased a Corporate edition and five VLKs.

Incidently, I looked hard, far and wide, before my original post

Thanks

Comment

"Upgrade" & "Full Version", afaik, just has to do with licensing. The software is the same. i.e. you can do a clean install with an Upgrade version of XP but you'll need to put in two keys, one for the previous Windows version and one for the upgrade. Conversely, you can do an in-place upgrade with a full version. So with the "Corp" version you should be able to install with no more issues than that of any other licensing scheme.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Damn, you're a handy guy to have around!

Comment

I'm dirt cheap, only $571/hr. USD
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
              "Upgrade" & "Full Version", afaik, just has to do with licensing. The software is the same. i.e. you can do a clean install with an Upgrade version of XP but you'll need to put in two keys, one for the previous Windows version and one for the upgrade. Conversely, you can do an in-place upgrade with a full version. So with the "Corp" version you should be able to install with no more issues than that of any other licensing scheme.
              Any upgrade i've ever done just looks for the original disk before continuing with the install.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                Any upgrade i've ever done just looks for the original disk before continuing with the install.
                Hmm, yeah, I think you're right. It's been a really long time since I've used upgrade media.
                Must be some other software product I'm thinking of that asks for another key...
                Thanks Wullie.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
                  Hmm, yeah, I think you're right. It's been a really long time since I've used upgrade media.
                  Must be some other software product I'm thinking of that asks for another key...
                  Thanks Wullie.
                  Tell me about it.

I only remember due to telling some monkey in a shop that he was doing an install wrongly.

He was charging customers for installing Windows 98 then XP home on top.

Comment

Working...
                  X