Fonts in web pages look smudged and blurred after clean install of XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fonts in web pages look smudged and blurred after clean install of XP

After a clean install of Windows XP (service pack 2) some fonts in Internet Explorer 6, seems smudged and blurred. The fonts in question are some bold ones. All the others look very nice and sharp.

For example: The text on the top right of this web page where it says ''Good Evening/morning'' or when you open yahoo.com where it says ''web search'' and ''sign in '' ''sign up'', or the highligted text in search results from yahoo.com.

I have tried changing fonts from the tools in IE 6, but it doesn't help. The fonts listed in my Internet Explorer are very few. How can I get the necessary fonts to show in Internet Explorer 6?

I also installed fonts from controll panel > fonts> install from file >install fonts. There were some fonts missing in XP and they got installed, but not all, accoriding to the list in windows info page at microsoft. Even after that no new fonts got into the Internet Explorer.

Have tried the clear type tuner too. This doesn't help at all. Have tried setting the fonts to clear type in the settings too.

I have tried various solutions nothing seems to help. I have done 5-6 clean installs in the process .

I am using a Panasonic LCD monitor (same one as before the installation).

Could somebody please help?

Re: Fonts in web pages look smudged and blurred after clean install of XP

Check for updated video drives.
    Also try setting your screen resolution higher and color quality higher.
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for answering.

I have tried all posible combinations of screen resolutions and I updated the grafic card/videocard also with a new version. But that didn't help. I was nervous that this upgrade might cause problems, so I did a clean install again.

My grafic card is:
      Intel(R) 82845G graphics controller.
      Driver 6.13.1.3317

I searched intel.com and found 6.13.10.3510 and installed it. Everything functioned as it should, but as said I removed it and installed windows again, just in case it starts creating problems.

My monitor is an Panasonic LC50S (TX-D5131F), LCD monitor. I have tried to find an updated driver for this, but can't find any. This is the only thing I have not tried.

I think that the problem is that IE is not recognising the 'problem' fonts, since it doesn't have the fonts accesible. I guess the solution would be to get all of the standard fonts in windows Xp copied to the computer and then copy the necessary fonts or all of them to the IE. I just don't know how to do it. The installation program, just don't seem to copy the fonts in the intsallation process.

Comment

Hmm, if fonts are missing, that might account for the blurriness... could you post a screen shot?

BTW - what makes you think that the fonts are not installed? Did you get an error during setup?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the answer.

BTW - what makes you think that the fonts are not installed? Did you get an error during setup?
          Because I noticed that the list of fonts were very short in comparision to earlier. When I installed Office XP, more fonts got installed, but not all the standard fonts which are supposed to get installed with Windows XP. See http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm I have 98 fonts now, but that lists shows 137 fonts. I didn't get any error messages during setup.

Originally posted by JeremyW
          Hmm, if fonts are missing, that might account for the blurriness... could you post a screen shot?
          I have now installed Windows very many times in the last week, and hoped that it might get it right. Have tried various videocard drivers for the videocard from Intel. There is no improvement. I notice now that this font problem is not only on web pages. It is in Word documents too.

The only thing I haven't changed is the driver for the monitor. Windows installed the driver (version 5.1.2001.0) automatically. I have tried to find a newer driver, but it seems difficult. I did a scan of my computer at driveragent.com and they had one, but the scan results didn't recomend to change the driver. I suppose the one I have must be newer or better.

I think now that the problem must be with the monitor, not being able to display properly. The funny thing is that before I did the clean install of windows, everything was just fine. It might not be a problem with the fonts, after all because if the proper fonts in Word documents are also affected, then it has to be a display problem. I notice that some pictures and graphics also look faded.

Here is a screenshot of some text and a picture as a picture (in .gif format) and a word document.

Hope you can help.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by pentinum; 26th September 2006, 14:09.

Comment

Do you have a CRT or an LCD monitor. If CRT, how old is it? The fonts appear crystal clear on my 19" LCD.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
              Do you have a CRT or an LCD monitor. If CRT, how old is it? The fonts appear crystal clear on my 19" LCD.
              It's an LCD monitor. Panasonic LC50S (TX-D5131F).

Comment

Are you able to try it with another monitor?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Are you able to try it with another monitor?
                  No. I don't. I am just a poor student, so I don't have the capacity to do it. I am taking my studies through the internet, and use the computer for several hours of the day, or rather most of the day. If I could afford it, I would have just run and bought a new monitor.

This could sound very stupid, but could it be that the installation CD has somehow changed? Because I did a clean install in March of this year, that is 6-7 months ago, and didn't have any problems.

Anyway the computer is also kind of old, about 4 years and the monitor is over 6 years (I bought it second hand). Maybe next semester I will buy a new PC and monitor.

Comment

With that old of hardware it's probably gonna start producing problems (like the display) Could you beg, borrow or steal a monitor just to test it out? (well not steal... I don't condone that) I kinda doubt the media is messed up... usually produces errors.

Surely someone has an old monitor they'd be giving away or selling cheap... I've got 3 or 4 monitors (CRT) that work OK but I'll probably end up just throwing them away.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes. I could borrow a monitor. That way it also show whether the problem is the monitor or the hardware. That way I can find out whether the problem is in fact the hardware.

I live in Norway, so the I couldn't possible borrow one of your old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by pentinum
                        I live in Norway, so the I couldn't possible borrow one of your old ones.
                        Ha, you could buy a ticket to the US and then take it back with you ... spend $1000 to get a free monitor

But that was just an example of the potential availability.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

pentinum,
                          You can come over here if you would like
                          Other option is waiting for 2 years. Problably 'll be in you're country then
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Ha, you could buy a ticket to the US and then take it back with you ... spend $1000 to get a free monitor

But that was just an example of the potential availability.

Jeremy, take a large hammer and smash monitor into bits. Bits CAN be transmitted through Internet.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                              Jeremy, take a large hammer and smash monitor into bits. Bits CAN be transmitted through Internet.
                              Good idea. Kinda the same concept I had for your SharePoint issue... except you'll want to get rid of the bits instead of transmit them
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X