Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFS problems (was: I Hate Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS problems (was: I Hate Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!)

So I have efs encyption on for my hard drive, then i reformatted. So ibacked up all my videos, music, and 10 years worth of family photos on my external hard drive. I reformat, get all my programs and everything together and then go to my external hard drive to get the files, AND THEY ARE STILL ENCRYPTED!!!!!! windows forgot to take the flippin' encryption off the files. I talk to microsoft and the guy on the phone freakin' tells me to find a good hacker.......wtf?! I have searched ALL of the internet and have found that if i move the files to a hard drive that is formatted to FAT the files lose all encryption. But i can't move the dam files!!!! I have tried all the EFS recovery programs but they only get the original key and that drive has already been formatted. SOMEONE, FOR GOD SAKES PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I have years and years of family photos and hundreds of dollars worth of music that i can't access. I can even see all the thumbnails to the pictures, MICROSOFT IS TAUNTING ME!!!!!!! This forum has helped me fix all my problems before so, thanx in advance.
    Last edited by HebrewHammer; 15th September 2006, 23:56.

Re: I Hate Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!

Edit you're post and you're topic title, or i will delete this thread.
    Use normal language please.

see also.
    http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=23

And if you haved searched, you would find this one:
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=1609
    Last edited by Dumber; 15th September 2006, 23:10.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: EFS problems (was: I Hate Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!)

Too late, administrator (me) saw it, banned user for 2 weeks. Now user has time to find a hacker to crack his EFS files (or to wait and see if someone else can answer this thread).

I will not tolerate any breaking of the forum rules. Use a thread title that describes your problem (like the one used now, after editing the original one). If you can't follow or understand a simple rule you will need to find a different forum to post at.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hello:

I'm having a problem with EFS. I inadvertently encrypted a directory under Windows 2000. I backed up the 'Documents and Settings' folders (but did not export any keys) before reformatting the hard drive, and was left with quite a number of encryption keys in various locations. I've now switched to XP, and am unable to decrypt the encrypted files (which are still on another drive - I've not been able to move them). Advanced EFS Recovery doesn't do the trick, and I've tried moving the old key files to the XP locations where I presume they should be, but again without success. Is there any way around this problem?

Many thanks for any advice.

Comment

Markoni,

Please don't haijack a threat. Please recreate you own one.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Markoni
            Hello:

I'm having a problem with EFS. I inadvertently encrypted a directory under Windows 2000. I backed up the 'Documents and Settings' folders (but did not export any keys) before reformatting the hard drive, and was left with quite a number of encryption keys in various locations. I've now switched to XP, and am unable to decrypt the encrypted files (which are still on another drive - I've not been able to move them). Advanced EFS Recovery doesn't do the trick, and I've tried moving the old key files to the XP locations where I presume they should be, but again without success. Is there any way around this problem?

Many thanks for any advice.
            You might be in a heck of a problem. If Advances EFS Recovery doesn't help (and why doesn't it help?) then I am not aware of any other method of recovering an EFS encripted file.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Side note: Encrypting your files was who's idea? Microsofts?
              Any OS where you delete what is nessisary to unencrypt encrypted information would act the same way. Good buisness practices should keep this sort of stuff from happening. I hope you find a way to fix it though and I am currious if it got fixed.

Comment

Hello, all:

On reformatting some SID's were apparently lost. Advanced EFS Data Recovery uses available SID's to decrypt user keys. If AEFSDR doesn't have an SID, the private (and apparently the master keys, too) remain encrypted and so do the encrypted files. Interestingly, some old master keys and user keys were decrypted by AEFSDR, so an SID of some sort must have been present - just not the right one!

Encryption wasn't actually my idea ... I meant to untick the 'Compress contents to save disk space' box under the advanced properties tab, but ticked the encrypt files box instead. By the time I realised the files were encrypted, I had already upgraded the Operating System.

I'm guessing that it should be possible to re-create missing SID's, since they seem to follow a particular format, but so far have not found any software which uses this approach.

Thanks again for your help.
                Last edited by Markoni; 22nd September 2006, 03:41.

Comment

Let us know if you did. However I'd go look for that backup I made if I were you... You did make backups, didn't you?
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes, Daniel. I did make a backup. It's on an IBM DTLA-307045 46.1GB UDMA100 7200RPM HDD, model number 07N3931, manufactured in Hungary in September 2000. The drive has a sheared pin, and until I can find a circuit-board which is compatible, and someone to change the old one out for quite a bit less than €347.80, I can't access the data.

I'll let you know if I come up with a software solution. I had a bit of luck last night - 12 more private keys decrypted!

Thanks again.

I know there's a God, and I know it's not me.
                    Last edited by Markoni; 22nd September 2006, 20:10.

Comment

Microsoft thas always suggested you export your EFS certificates and private keys. The safest flace to put them was on a floppy at the time. I recall this being in the training material of one of my MCSE courses although I don't recall which one. Hard to blame Microsft
                      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by RobW
                        Microsoft thas always suggested you export your EFS certificates and private keys. The safest flace to put them was on a floppy at the time. I recall this being in the training material of one of my MCSE courses although I don't recall which one. Hard to blame Microsft
                        I don't have a problem with Microsoft - unless it's perhaps that the company was less than zealous about warning users of the consequences of EFS - a complaint I've heard repeatedly. I think EFS is, in general, a good thing and has its place in particular environments. However, my home computer, which is seldom used for business and contains, to my knowledge, absolutely no incriminating information is probably not one of them.

Recall that I set the EFS attribute under discussion mistakenly in the 2001 before proper use of EFS was generally known to the public (including me).

In fairness I have noticed, that in the intervening years and despite many complaints about EFS, Microsoft has not changed the proximity of the compression and encryption boxes, and no warning appears when the encryption box is ticked, by mistake or otherwise.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Markoni; 22nd September 2006, 20:37.

Comment

Even the Help & Support Center in Windows XP documents all this including backing up certificates externally and deleting local certificates.

Bummer that this happened, but speaking for myself, all this was well covered in 70-215 and 70-216. I think to jump into something when you are not familiar with it and put valuable data at risk is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

If I wanted to learn more about encryption, the same way I learned about permission and user rights, I would work with a test box.

I just don't see it as a Microsoft problem (in this case).
                          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Even the Help & Support Center in Windows XP documents all this including backing up certificates externally and deleting local certificates.

Bummer that this happened, but speaking for myself, all this was well covered in 70-215 and 70-216. I think to jump into something when you are not familiar with it and put valuable data at risk is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

If I wanted to learn more about encryption, the same way I learned about permission and user rights, I would work with a test box.

Well...

The folder I'm concerned with was encrypted with EFS under Windows 2000 in late 2001. EFS apparently became available with Service Pack 2. Clearly EFS was present on my system, because the files did get encrypted. In any case, the Help & Support Centre in Windows XP was entirely unavailable to me at the time. I've yet to take any MSCE courses, and while 70-215 and 70-216 undoubtedly cover the subject matter, it is subject matter which is well beyond my field.

I genuinely had no plan in 2001 to learn about encryption, and certainly not by encrypting files and then throwing away the encryption keys. My present interest in encryption, aside from the problem already outlined with a particular folder which I'd like to decrypt, is really restricted to my bank's assurances to me that online access to my account is safe.

I don't see this as a Microsoft problem, either. I ticked the wrong box by accident and was hoping that someone with more experience with this type of problem - perhaps on this forum - could assist in correcting what was entirely my own mistake.

As far as 'test boxes', I really only use those to confuse MI5 when my house is raided. After taking a look at my test box, the agents invariably conclude that such an idiot couldn’t present any security threat whatsoever, so long as he’s kept away from critical computers with important data which should be preserved. At any rate, they haven't been here in a month or so...

Cheers!

P.S.: The 'I Hate Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!' bit was actually posted by someone else.

Comment

Robw, the original thread was started by a different person, I had to ban him for 2 weeks because he used that sort of thread title, Markoni has nothing to do with it besides the fact that he has hijacked the thread...
                              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                              X