Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows PE 10.x and starting automatically a Windows 8.x installation

Hi

While creating Windows PE 10.x in a bootable USB stick, as I do to make sure that a Windows 8.x installation starts automatically inserted into a partition of the same USB stick?

Thanks

Bye
    balubeto

Re: Windows PE 10.x and starting automatically a Windows 8.x installation

HUH? Please rephrase your question as I do not understand what you are asking.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      HUH? Please rephrase your question as I do not understand what you are asking.
      With the latest version of Windows ADK, it is possible to create Windows PE 10.x (or 5.x). Right?

Now, I have a bootable USB stick with three partitions: the first with Windows PE that I am going to create, the second with the installation files for Windows 8.x and the third with those of Windows 7 SP1.

Now, modifying the boot.wim file of Windows PE, how do I create a boot menu with three entries: one to start Windows PE normally, the other to start Windows 8.x and the other to start Windows 7 SP1?

Thanks

Bye
      balubeto

Comment

Why would you want to?
        3 x USB sticks will not make a massive hole in your pocket (either size or price)

However, you could try adapting the instructions here for a dual boot x86/x64 WinPE environment

http://deploymentresearch.com/Resear...nd-x64-support
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Why would you want to?
          3 x USB sticks will not make a massive hole in your pocket (either size or price)

However, you could try adapting the instructions here for a dual boot x86/x64 WinPE environment

http://deploymentresearch.com/Resear...nd-x64-support
          Perfect.

Now, how do I automatically start Windows 7 or 8 (whose installation files are located respectively in the other two partitions of the USB stick) from the boot menu?

By chance, I have to edit the Startnet.cmd or Winpeshl.ini file or simply add another two entries to the boot menu to start their installations? How do I do this?

Thanks

Bye
          balubeto

Comment

Er... why would you want to automatically start an OS AND have a choice of OSes at the boot menu?

Note it took me about 30 seconds with to find the link above - perhaps you should do the same
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor (Who?)
              Er... why would you want to automatically start an OS AND have a choice of OSes at the boot menu?
              I am left wondering why anyone would spend time on such a project now that the imminent release of Windows 10 is upon us with the FREE upgrade from Win 7 SP1, Win 8 & Win 8.1.

Mmmmm, silly me. Here I was expecting the RTM in early 2015. A little bit of reading indicates it may be mid 2015 or even late 2015. Should have realised MS never delivers on time. Might be worth doing that project after all but as my learned colleague mentions above m'lord:
              Use 8GB ones and you can also include a copy of Office 32 & 64 bit versions.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                To avoid that one commits write errors and to distribute the USB stick to anyone with the certainty of its correct use.

So someone could help me to do this?

Thanks

Bye
                balubeto

Comment

So why not media with just Windows 7 (or 8 ) on it?

Maybe I am missing something, but it appears you want to have 3 OSes on the USB stick, but automatically launch one of them.

Do you really mean "give users the choice but default if nothing else is selected" (that is normal behaviour IIRC) or do you mean "do not give users the choice" (in which case, refer to my first sentence)?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X