X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest news

The latest ZDNET news at

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...tag=TRE17cfd61

claims Win 10 will even be available to those with pirated copies of Win 7 or 8. It so happens my 2 programs that normally show the Windows product codes fail to do so with the laptop, because crafty Toshiba seem to have blocked it. So will I still be able to freely change to Win 10 if I feel brave enough.

Re: Latest news

Assuming your Windows 7 copy is OEM (I.e. provided by Toshiba with the laptop), then the product key within Windows is irrelevant. The OEM license is the COA on the machine, and that is the "real" product key as far as Microsoft are concerned. The keys will not match up.

In practice, it's rare to use these keys as OEM software generally automatically activates and you don't need to put the key in. If you were to reinstall Windows with a non-OEM DVD it would be the key on the COA that you activate with, not the one that ProduKey or whatever program you are using extracts from Windows.

In other words, your copy of Windows is genuine and legal if your laptop has the COA on it as the OEM license is tied to the hardware.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks it must be a legal copy of Won 8.1 on a Toshiba Laptop as I bough it from PCworld and have been bombarded with umpteen Windows Updates.

So I assume since it does not have a DVD drive, being on Fibre Broadband if I were to download a copy of Win 10 from somewhere and install it then it would be accepted OK

Comment

It should work without problems once the final Win10 comes out
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I trust you like me have found a extra icon today showing on your Win 7 toolbar etc. allowing you to reserve a download of free WIN 10 soon. Then install it when ready. But the burning question is what might be the drawbacks? Such as will the free ClassicShell work allowing the dear old desktop to be used again?

Comment

Gordon, Windows 10 has the "Start Menu" back and strangely enough the last time I looked at an older preview version of Windows 10 the Start Menu looked an awful like the Classic Shell.
            If you go into Control Panel-->Programs and Features, View installed updates (top left corner), look for KB3035583 and uninstall it then the update button should be removed.

Personally Gordon, I would not install the "free" copy of Windows 10 because it is an UPGRADE version. This means if you do install it over the top of your present operating system and you have a hard drive crash or corruption, you will have to reinstall the original operating system that came with your laptop (do you have the physical media like DVDs? ) and then go through the whole upgrade process again. This becomes a pain if you originally had Windows 8, then upgraded to Windows 8.1 (for free) and then to Windows 10. I have upgraded a Windows 8 machine to Windows 8.1 and when it because corrupted I tried to do a Recovery back to Windows 8.1 there was obviously no Recovery files on the HDD. There was Windows 8 Recovery files but the mechanism would not use them as it was looking for Windows 8.1 Recovery files.

If you want to have a look at Windows 10 and your Windows 8.1 version has the Hyper-V option, you could download a Windows 10 Preview copy and install it into a Virtual Machine and run it under Hyper-V. Alternatively, spend some time searching YouTube and look at all the wonderful videos of Windows 10 there. That should give you an indication of what Win 10 looks like.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks. Actually now I am Fast fibre 16 to 19 Mbps I could presumably download a Win 10 ISO and burn it to a DVD or flash drive using the free Rufus. But if I were to allow it to remove ALL existing data, would I still be able to install Win 10 for free using the existing Windows License? If so I assume it could be used on this PC with Win 7 or a laptop I have with Win 8, providing of course I backup all other files in a flash drive.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                ... Personally Gordon, I would not install the "free" copy of Windows 10 because it is an UPGRADE version. This means if you do install it over the top of your present operating system and you have a hard drive crash or corruption, you will have to reinstall the original operating system that came with your laptop (do you have the physical media like DVDs? ) and then go through the whole upgrade process again. This becomes a pain if you originally had Windows 8, then upgraded to Windows 8.1 (for free) and then to Windows 10. I have upgraded a Windows 8 machine to Windows 8.1 and when it because corrupted I tried to do a Recovery back to Windows 8.1 there was obviously no Recovery files on the HDD. There was Windows 8 Recovery files but the mechanism would not use them as it was looking for Windows 8.1 Recovery files ...
                This is my concern as well. It would be great to upgrade to Windows 10 for free but I am wondering about the recovery process. In the past, re-installing from an Upgrade disk after a catastrophic failure required the license key of the previous version of Windows (this is how it worked for my upgrade disk Win7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate). Will we be able to do the same thing with Windows 10? What I have read so far only says that the upgrade will be tied to the machine and not what will happen when you need to reinstall everything. However, I have also had one instance at work where a Lenovo machine (our only one thank goodness!), would not allow an upgrade to take place unless the system to be upgraded from was present.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi Mark, it was explained to my by Lenovo (I have no problem with them as I have configured 7 or 800+ of them) that the Windows 8 key is now embedded in their BIOS (though I couldn't find it). This appears to be the norm with the UEFI enabled systems not being produced. Now I don't fully understand it because some seem to have some of the UEFI installed onto a hidden partition on the HDD and others it is in the BIOS/Motherboard itself. My concern is that if the Key is on the HDD (or SSD if you is real lucky) then when Mr HDD goes bye bye then you lose your Licence Key. There are tools that can read the Windows Key but I need to wait until University mid year break before I can snaffle my daughter's machine and see if these tools work. Her machine came with Windows 8 but I downgraded to Windows 7 to make it more user friendly. Be interesting to see if the Key is still there or if it was on the 1TB HDD that got wiped and now sits in the DVD slot beside the 1TB SSD.

Sorry Gordon but I appear to have taken your thread a tad. Sorry about that.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

As far as i'm led to believe that is how ALL manufacturers store the licence key.

To retrieve it https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-t...8-product-key/

Comment

It should be in the UEFI BIOS always these days, that's why with Windows 8 OEMs stopped putting COA stickers on their machines.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X