Eventual upgrade from Win 7 to 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventual upgrade from Win 7 to 10

Presumably if you have some faulty settings with Win 7, that MS updates have not detected, then running a free upgrade later on this year will probably transfer the faults over to Win 10.

This is why I NEVER use the Win 7 backup procedure. Apart from taking ages because it backups all of Windows, it would also backup all the faults. Besides it only takes some 15 minutes to reinstall Win 7, though longer to install updates, many of which would also be needed to reinstall with a backup copy.

Re: Eventual upgrade from Win 7 to 10

Hi Gordon,
    Not clear how any updates would deal with "faulty settings" which presumably are in the user profile, but all new operating systems (certainly since Vista and probably earlier) have given you the choice of an upgrade (keeping applications and settings) or a clean install, so I would expect Win10 to be the same.

Regarding backups, I would suggest you install Win7 cleanly, patch, and then backup, as I suspect a clean install plus patching will take you far longer.

From this, I take it you have now wiped and rebuilt Win7, so has this cleared up the problems you previously had?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No Ossian I have not bothered to reinstall Win 7 all over again, I can live with its problems. Besides I need this PC for daily club emails and updates of my site.

Also this PC now has the lovely habit of suddenly switching off all of itself, that could be caused by glitches in the mains power. The irony of it is the original problem was it would often not switch off when closing down. The next step will be a laptop, hoping by then they will all have Win 10.

Comment

If at all possible never perform an in place upgrade of any client OS.

I would hazard a guess that if the system is not detecting updates then there are possibly no updates to install??

I would do a clean install using the media that has been provided to you in other posts and start afresh with a known good system. This however is just my opinion.

Comment

Sorry I did not make it clear updates are now being installed OK but settings errors are not being detected and correct by MS updates.

Comment

Gordon,
            Have you tried creating a new user account (therefore a new profile) and seeing if the "setting errors" persist?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No sorry I am nervous of tinkering with the USERS.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                No sorry I am nervous of tinkering with the USERS.
                Your existing settings under the User Account you presently use will remain as they are. Use the Users section of Control panel to set up a new User Account and see if the glitches you experience with your present user account are still present.

If not, you can copy your documents, favourites etc from the old account to the new one.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Living on my own and for the most part the only one using this Win 7 PC is me. So I never bother fiddling about with user accounts, I always allow it to install me as Admin all the time.

Therefore since the Admin presumably is in control when you set up any user accounts, it will promptly pass on to all the faults to every user account created afterwards. So I cannot see the point in creating any user accounts after faults are created using it only as the Admin.

Comment

Any faults that develop in user accounts (the profile) are often specific to that profile.

Creating a new user account will not inherit anything from an administrative account. One of the first troubleshooting steps to take with most PC issues is to see if the problems experienced by a person are still there when they use a different account. Thus, creating a new user account will tell you whether the problem is due to a specific issue with a user account (when the problem will not be present in the newly created account) or whether the problem is due to an issue with the operating system (when the issue will still be present).

Creating a new user account is easy, your present user account remains unaffected and you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by testing this.
                    Last edited by Blood; 29th January 2015, 08:01. Reason: clarity
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

To take bloods answer a bit further,
                      When you create a new user account, it gets a copy of the default profile, so a clean start. It does not get a copy of the administrators profile
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Thanks guys sorry to pester you with my ignorance

I did set up a standard user account but found it did not duplicate all the changes with my Admin account such as on my desktop. Perhaps if it did allow me to include all admin changes it will then include all the problems like below.

However unlike my Admin account it does allow me to set say BAS files to all open with Notepad.
                        Last edited by GordonSweet; 29th January 2015, 11:13.

Comment

Each account has separate desktops, documents, favourites etc.

There is also a "Public" profile which is common to all accounts so you can (from administrator) open the public profile folders and move (not copy) shortcuts or files into it to make them available to all users
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

You are welcome. We will be happy to assist you anytime.

thanh ly dan net thanh ly tiem net thanh ly phong net may tinh de ban
                            Last edited by zangxuma; 17th April 2017, 10:46.

Comment

I did open a new standard user account and found as suggested the faults with the Admin account such as not allowing me to permanently associate BAS files with Notepad, of persuading Folders to remember individual settings were not transferred to the new account. So how does that help in detecting and correcting Admin faults.

I had to abandon the user account because I need to be able to use numerous shortcuts to umpteen files such as in My Documents and a Folder duplicating My Website. But I was getting umpteen problems accessing then setting up numerous Sharing needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X