Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I Install Win10 Beta, how do I prove I had a Windows 8 License?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I Install Win10 Beta, how do I prove I had a Windows 8 License?

Forgive my ignorance, but i haven't participated in a beta since Windows for Workgroups (snowball.) I have a spare laptop that has Windows 8 installed. If I wait till the official release of Windows 10, I am sure that the install will see Windows 8 and allow me to install for free. But what if it sees the Windows 10 beta? How will it know that before I installed the Beta I had Windows 8? Is there a trick I need to know before participating? Thanks, Jamie

Re: If I Install Win10 Beta, how do I prove I had a Windows 8 License?

Try and get the product key.

I would presume that this is how they will track your upgrade status.

Comment

According to this Win 10 will be free to existing Win 7 and 8.1 users for a year. I see the ISO is already available online as with other Windows to freely download, then automatically burn a DVD by just clicking on the ISO file, such as if you have Nero installed.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-produ...s-insider-tcs/

Seems a great bargain, rather as if MS are admitting all the ghastly things wrong with this wretched Win 7, also Win 8.1 they had to include the important START button eventually.

Presumably we can use our existing serial numbers, even if it has been used to the full quota. Even if the quota has been used up, I understand we will be just asked to make a short phone call to confirm it is only installed on one PC etc. If you do not know the licence serials, I find this perfectly free safe software displays all your licences installed including any Windows.

http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/license...r_1.44.785.zip
      Last edited by GordonSweet; 23rd January 2015, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
        According to this Win 10 will be free to existing Win 7 and 8.1 users for a year. I see the ISO is already available online as with other Windows to freely download, then automatically burn a DVD by just clicking on the ISO file, such as if you have Nero installed.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-produ...s-insider-tcs/

Seems a great bargain, rather as if MS are admitting all the ghastly things wrong with this wretched Win 7, also Win 8.1 they had to include the important START button eventually.

Presumably we can use our existing serial numbers, even if it has been used to the full quota. Even if the quota has been used up, I understand we will be just asked to make a short phone call to confirm it is only installed on one PC etc. If you do not know the licence serials, I find this perfectly free safe software displays all your licences installed including any Windows.

Gordon,

Just because your having issues with a Windows 7 build does NOT mean that the software is ghastly. I have used it pretty much since beta and never had any issues that were the actual fault of the operating system.

We have also rolled out circa 500 systems at work with Windows 7 and had practically zero issues with the OS. Software, drivers, etc yes but the actual core OS no.

There is something wrong with your build not the OS

All,

We won't know until the software goes gold what the "free" upgrade will include. As i have said the upgrade may be tied to your licence key and if thats the case then you would either need access to it, can be difficult with Windows 8 as is usually stored in the BIOS, or Microsoft would have some sort of system in place to verify you actually have a licence. Lets not forget that OEM builders such as Dell, HP, etc do not use the same key that is located on the COA sticker with Windows 7.

Please also be aware that the current Windows 10 installation is still in Beta mode and as such should NOT be used in a production system as it MAY cause issues.

Comment

So it looks as if we will be allowed to install Win 10 even on an empty hard drive providing we quote valid serial numbers for Win 7 or 8.1.

Otherwise if you have Win 7 like mine with faults, perhaps the faulty settings could be carried over to Win 10.

Comment

Gordon, you should always have the option of an upgrade or a clean install. The clean install for an existing OS should either let you delete and create partitions or keep a "windows.old" folder with files and settings from the previous installation.

(This assumes 10 works the same way as 7 and 8, which I think the first beta did)

Regarding your PC - please think about an F-disk. There is nothing wrong with Win7 and your experience is, to say the least, unusual.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If I am not mistaken Gordon purchased a disk from eBay after the computer shop lost his original media. I would hazard a guess that the eBay purchase may, just may have been "modified". That is why I would recommend downloading a clean Windows 7 ISO of the same version as the lost media and install it all clean.

I would imagine the free Windows 10 will be the usual Microsoft Upgrade version. We got this when Vista (why do I now have a bad taste in my mouth) was release to the organisation I was working for. Ergo, you will need an operating system on your machine Gordon. If you can tell me what version of Windows 7 you originally had Gordon, I will find you the ISO and post the link to it OR if I can't find it then postage for a DVD won't cost me much. I really would like to see you have a trouble free version running on your machine and after XP, Windows 7 is really quite good once you get used to where and what Microsoft have done with the XP applets.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                If I am not mistaken Gordon purchased a disk from eBay after the computer shop lost his original media. I would hazard a guess that the eBay purchase may, just may have been "modified". That is why I would recommend downloading a clean Windows 7 ISO of the same version as the lost media and install it all clean.

I would imagine the free Windows 10 will be the usual Microsoft Upgrade version. We got this when Vista (why do I now have a bad taste in my mouth) was release to the organisation I was working for. Ergo, you will need an operating system on your machine Gordon. If you can tell me what version of Windows 7 you originally had Gordon, I will find you the ISO and post the link to it OR if I can't find it then postage for a DVD won't cost me much. I really would like to see you have a trouble free version running on your machine and after XP, Windows 7 is really quite good once you get used to where and what Microsoft have done with the XP applets.
                No need really. I gave a link to a site with links for Windows 7 downloads, all legit as well.

Here is another link with Digital River links, they supply Windows 7 downloads for Microsoft, which will have every version of Windows 7 available.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...Download-Links

And yet another link again with legitimate download links for Windows 7

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technol...download-links

To help ease the mind of some i have downloaded and checked them against MSDN files and they match.

Comment

Thanks but I have already downloaded ISOs for Win 7 and Vista. I am on fibre now, though like many I am only getting less than half the maximum speed of 38 Mbps, even though I am only some 200 yards from the BT Wi-Fi cabinet. I takes about 10 minutes to download 1 GB. I calculate that is at 13 Mps

The story is the shop lost both my Win 7 and drivers disks and would not bother to reinstall Win 7 anyway. But I did not have to buy a Win 7 OS disk, they quite rightly gave me some strange DVD instead of one say burnt strait from an ISO. This maybe the cause of my problems.

It even contains the risky IE8 later replaced by the proper IE 11 by a MS update. Do normal Win 7 OS disks include this risky IE 8 please?

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                    Thanks but I have already downloaded ISOs for Win 7 and Vista. I am on fibre now, though like many I am only getting less than half the maximum speed of 38 Mbps, even though I am only some 200 yards from the BT Wi-Fi cabinet. I takes about 10 minutes to download 1 GB. I calculate that is at 13 Mps

The story is the shop lost both my Win 7 and drivers disks and would not bother to reinstall Win 7 anyway. But I did not have to buy a Win 7 OS disk, they quite rightly gave me some strange DVD instead of one say burnt strait from an ISO. This maybe the cause of my problems.

It even contains the risky IE8 later replaced by the proper IE 11 by a MS update. Do normal Win 7 OS disks include this risky IE 8 please?
                    Yes, Windows 7 did indeed ship with IE8, as that was current at the time.

Comment

As I posted elsewhere here I have uploaded a perfectly safe Shareware Windows Licence finder below. It comes from the very reputable collection on the Herons disks. I also shows any other Licnces stored on a PC.

Comment

Gordon, if it it not your own software, could you please post a link to the original source. If by "Herons" you mean "Hiren's Boot CD", a lot of the software on that is commercial, and the licensing is dodgy to say the least.

For a free keyfinder, I like the Magic Jelly Bean: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes I was referring to "Hiren's Boot CDs"

Comment

Working...
                          X