Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 technical preview to arrive tomorrow (Oct 1st)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 technical preview to arrive tomorrow (Oct 1st)

For those of us who like running buggy OSes to see the latest and greatest, this link should get you there starting tomorrow:
    http://preview.windows.com
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Windows 10 technical preview to arrive tomorrow (Oct 1st)

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
    For those of us who like running buggy OSes to see the latest and greatest, this link should get you there starting tomorrow:
    http://preview.windows.com
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing what this is like.

Comment

Gonna have to rename the forum though.

Looks like Microsoft are (A) Listening to their customers and giving them what they want and (B) making sure that they keep enterprise customers as happy as possible. I'll believe the same version of Windows on every device when I see it, but if it is true then the app shortfall on Windows Phone should start to close pretty rapidly.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Saw that when I looked at the news online this morning and thought "what a load of shit". Then I thought Windows 10??? What a load of shit.

This name has badly IMO been put onto a product written by programmers and promoted by marketing people who have no idea who evaluates and recommends the software to be purchased. Do they have any techie non yes men working at Redmond? Windows 10, oh FFS! Almost looks like they want to catch up to a fruity firm's OS X number. As for the 1 size fits all approach.......HA!
        • They screwed up the new File System that was supposed to ship with Windows 2000.
        • Who remembers the lack of drivers with Windows 2000?
        • XP was good!
        • Vista, it had a nice name....NEXT.
        • Windows 7 (or should that be Windows 6 since the last one had a name) was what Windows 6/Vista should have been and it goes downhill from here.
        • Windows Hate.....nuff said
        • Windows 8.1 was a bit like Vista SP1/2. It sort of just fixed issues that should never have existed or didn't work (as the consumer would have preferred)
        • Windows 9 (must have been a stinker as it wasn't released)
        • Windows 10 aka Threshold and it may have just pushed many over the threshold to start their migration away from Microsoft. If Linux based operating systems ever get their act together Microsoft is gone.

They missed a good advertising slogan with Windows 9 is just fine. Windows 10, hell I LOATHE the name and don't much like the look of it either however I will try it out on my 3 year old laptop but it will be done on a clean HDD so I can return to a working Windows 7 if/when 10 doesn't work.

From the bits I have seen so far I give this 1 size fits all a 1 out of 10.
        Last edited by biggles77; 1st October 2014, 03:31.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

having trouble finding a specific download link.. not available yet ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            having trouble finding a specific download link.. not available yet ?
            Try second quarter NEXT year. "Preview" versions are available if you are in the right circles.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am just reading The Register and found out why it is called Windows 10. According to the article it is because 7 ate 9. Click image for larger version

Name:	rotfl.gif
Views:	26
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	466877
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Don't give up the day job
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Supposedly this will be the last major release of Windows. The rest will just be incremental updates.

Having gotten used to the Windows 8.1 interface, I actually like it. Looking forward to being able to use the modern style apps in floating windows.

The preview link still isn't working for me... not sure when it will be available.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                    Supposedly this will be the last major release of Windows. The rest will just be incremental updates.

Having gotten used to the Windows 8.1 interface, I actually like it. Looking forward to being able to use the modern style apps in floating windows.

The preview link still isn't working for me... not sure when it will be available.
                    Could be Windows 11 by the time its released proper...
                    The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
                    Always be Batman.

Comment

Yeah, using 'apps' in professional, manageable, resizable windows will be great. Having a traditional Start menu back will be great. IMO, Microsoft broke the golden rule of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' with Windows 8.

Incremental updates - really? So long as all the extraneous clutter is removed along the way I reckon it will work.
                      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                        Incremental updates - really? So long as all the extraneous clutter is removed along the way I reckon it will work.
                        Not sure how it will work out. If it's not working for them then they'll probably switch back to releasing major versions and/or come up with a new OS?!? Who knows.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Could be And, if a major overhaul of the UI is introduced you'll not necessarily want to be 'automatically' installing updates
                          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I'm now able to access the preview.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Looks like MS are looking after patching.
                              WSUS from the mothership..
                              The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
                              Always be Batman.

Comment

Working...
                              X