Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I restore data saved under NTFS File System?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I restore data saved under NTFS File System?

How can I restore data which has been saved under NTFS file system? I have a drive on my pc where I had saved some important documents and I unable to access them now. Any sufficient solution?

Assuming it is a physical drive, you should be able to connect it and see the contents. You may need to go into Disk Management and either assign a drive letter or (worst case) tell Win10 the drive can be seen.

Are you sure the drive is not either Bitlockered or has Encrypted files on it? If so, you will need to get it back to the original system which should have the keys. If you have lost the keys, please send it to your appropriate Intelligence Agency, saying it may contain terrorist materials, and they will decrypt it in short order. The men in balaclavas abseiling into your house from a helicopter are a bonus service.

NOTE - my spam senses are tingling, so any future "one post wonders" with some miraculous commercial solution WILL be banned
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

get an ubuntu iso and make a live disk.. boot to it with another drive in place (flash, ext hdd, even an open network share will work) and crank it up.

linux doesnt care about NTFS permissions. you should be able to pull whatever you want assuming the drive wasnt bitlocker'd or some kind of drive encryption was used.

i use this technique for pulling data off failing drives.. windows live disk will fail on the copy, but a debian disk will pull it without issues much faster and doesnt care who's folder it is.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Perks View Post
        How can I restore data which has been saved under NTFS file system? I have a drive on my pc where I had saved some important documents and I unable to access them now. Any sufficient solution?
        What error message are you seeing? Are the files present but you are unable to open them or have the files disappeared altogether?

A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
        X