Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried the October 2018 (1809) upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried the October 2018 (1809) upgrade?

I am contemplating taking the plunge, but am hearing too many (nth hand) horror stories. Has anyone successfully upgraded, or are we all waiting for someone else to be the first lemming over the cliff?

Known issues as I understand it:
    Intel drivers, particularly audio (cured by updating direct from Intel)
    Loss of My Documents content - WTF??? - obviously backup first
    Anything else?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

For 25 points, "What is Windows 10?"

It appears to be getting worse and worserer.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The tech news is rampant with the Intel and deleted documents stories. I'll be doing the same as last time - delay it for at least 100 days so that the 'kinks' are ironed out.

What poor testing!
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I've installed it on a few machines at home now with no issues.

Still to test in he lab however.

Comment

Oh well, I guess Micro$oft have answered my question....
          https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...ows_10_pulled/
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

that is a plus. i had a batch of Dell Latitude refurbs, came shipped with 10 refurb.. finish the process, let it sit and soak up some updates.. out of the 15 i was doing atm, only 3 of them succeeded on the first try. i was able to get it on the others after a couple attempts, didnt notice anything..

of the ones that succeeded, it hosed the wireless adapters to the point that it was showing up 4 times in the device manager. the wireless button also stopped working... funny, cause that is a feature i would have paid extra for on some users laptops, but not in this instance.

long story long, ended up repairing the install, scrapping the update and hoping it wouldnt push to the others with that wireless chipset.

probably a good thing they pulled that back, it wasnt ready for production.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Another addition

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/09/wi...anup-settings/

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes
                i had a batch of Dell Latitude refurbs, came shipped with 10 refurb
                Likely answer is yes, but did the laptops have identical hardware in them all? Winshit 10 seems so touchy even if the a single piece of hardware is a slightly different model.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  FFS. Not only does MS encourage customers to store data where MS thinks best (My Documents, Downloads), they then want to delete the contents of Downloads to free up disk space. Like I said - poor testing all around. It shows a disturbing lack of understanding of how their customers use their products.
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

did the laptops have identical hardware in them all? Winshit 10 seems so touchy even if the a single piece of hardware is a slightly different model.
                    yes, this was something i noticed. even though the laptops were the same model, the chipset and firmware rev # for the wireless adapter was slightly different between them. i had 2 different chipsets and 2 revisions of firmware of 1 chipset... and it didnt seem to like one of them at all.
                    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

What OS release number is the OP referring to? I'm on the latest Windows Insider preview so I'm assuming mine (Version 10.0.18252.1000) is a different version.

Apart from the weird timing error I just posted about I haven't noticed any spevcific issues with W10 and that one might have been arounmd for some time for all I know.

James
                      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
                      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

I am talking about the well publicised non-insider release (I refuse to do Alpha testing for MS - Beta is bad enough!) generally referred to as 1809 (September 201 even if it was in October. No idea which build number it is, though
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Working...
                        X