Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Manual Backup

Hi,

So I am experimenting using Windows File Backup which, by and large, seems fairly competent.

My problem with it is that it is automated and it seems I can only backup to an accessible drive so, for example, my D: drive. That works AOK except that I want to keep my backups offline ... in other words I want to connect my backup drive ONLY when the backup is happening and preferably run the backup manually. This is something I can do/have done using a Python script which I use to create a robocopy batch file and that works very well but, being in the home computer support business, I would prefer to use something already available (I'm doing a presentation on backups for home users this Wednesday).

Does anyone know how to run Windows file backup manually? By that I don't just mean switch it on so it can run when it wants to, I mean switch it on and make it start at the behest (perhaps) of a batch file so I can connect a drive first then disconnect it after.

An alternative might be to have the backup target as a URL or similar.

Thanks

Keke
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 18th February 2018, 14:49.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

I used to use Robocopy, then I started using SyncToy which worked well for my purposes. After I started using Win 10 I switched to a cloud backup service.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      I used to use Robocopy, then I started using SyncToy which worked well for my purposes. After I started using Win 10 I switched to a cloud backup service.
      I checked out SyncToy (it looked intetesting) and yes, it seems to work OK via the GUI but seems real slow via the command line. Of course it's early days

Is there any way SyncToy will display what it's doing in command line mode?

Keke

Comment

That's not something I ever did. I always ran it from the GUI. The program gives a detailed log of its actions - could you use that instead of monitoring it via a command window?

However, I did see this thread which asks how to hide the window - but, I don't know if progress was being displayed etc., which is why they want it hidden so that it is not a distraction...

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...?forum=synctoy
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

OK Thx

Keke

Comment

I am also struggling with the same issue

Comment

Working...
            X