Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This error only happens to me in Winshit 10.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This error only happens to me in Winshit 10.

Code:
    ReadResponse() failed: The server did not return a complete response for this request. Server returned 0 bytes
    I have Googled this so may times that my fingernails will not need cuting for the next 3 or 4 years. Sometimes there is an app name in the () brackets but usually not. When this happens, all FOUR web browsers stop returning results. IE11 sometimes returns a message about the TLS settings are wrong; image is below. While everything went offline again I got a new error message on the blank Google page. Image is also below. I can successfully PING the IP. I can successfully PING the URL and get returns but if I put the IP or the URL into the browser windows, my frenemy above pops in to say howdy. It also stops incoming and outgoing emails as well. I initially thought is was DNS issue but clearing the Cache and Flushing DNS didn't do diddly.

This is a new laptop. A Dell Inspiron 15 5570 with incredible specs except for the pathetic 1x1 Wi-Fi but a stupendous 40% discount. Unfortunately I got cunt struck (sorry but I can't think of a better description due to my drug inhibited/restricted vocabulary) by the specs and discount and forgot to look at what version(s) of Linux it supported coz I do NOT want Winshit 10 on my machine. NO LINUX DRIVERS, thanks Dell. May be my first and last Dell purchase. (I usually buy Lenovo [don't laugh] and have never had an issue with my personal machines or the hundreds, if not thousands that I have deployed and supported). I have Factory Defaulted this incredibly speced machine 4 bloody times now and even took time to space out the software installs to see if I had something clashing. I can't find what is causing this. There is NOTHING in the Event Viewer except for a single entry that was there during the initial build on 27 Dec 2017 and does not appear to be related (though I could always be wrong). This appears to be a driver issue that I am unable to find a resolution for even on the Dell Support site. It has filled the System Event Log even though I have tripled it to 60GB instead of the default 20480MB but this Event ID:17 still fills the Log. The highlighted line was caused by me typing the SHARE that I was mapping to incorrectly. (Which adds another weird one. I can manually map a drive to a non local SHARE but they will not map via a simple .bat script) That one will be added to a different Topic when I get pissed off enough.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a-dell-driver-furcup.png Views:	1 Size:	201.6 KB ID:	516218 Event ID: 17 error. ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	event-id-17.png Views:	1 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	516219
    The only way I can regain any browser control is to reboot the machine. Also find that if I try and use Duckduckgo.com as my default home page it will not open on Chrome, IE11 (I think I tried Edge) but it does work on Firefox however once the first line of this post appears, it no longer works in Firefox either.
    I have worked with the default host. file and also with one that has 13,815 lines that includes 300 odd that try to cause Winshit 10 telemetry to have a bad day. I have excluded this as the problem otherwise thousands of users would have supplied feedback to the source. I have used this modified hosts. file for the past 2 years on Windows 7 and haven't had any issues with it. If anyone is interested, you can find it here https://club.myce.com/t/hosts-file/311341/530 (no TinyURL of hidden in a hyperlink so you can decide if it is safe for yourself though I hope my post count would imply some trust for the content ) I guess there are other sites out there with similar modified hosts. files but I trust this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	winshit-10-tls-supposed-error - 32bit.png Views:	1 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	516194Click image for larger version  Name:	poxy-service-not-responding.png Views:	1 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	516195 I don't have a proxy service running on this network AND it also isn't one of the entries in the host. file that I use.

So, when the browsers stop me from getting Internet access, I have to open a Virtual Machine this has been installed in Hyper-V that has been added to this Winshit 10 machine and get my browsing fix from a Windows 7 VM on Winshit 10's Hyper-V. How bloody weird is that. Sorry but this post is a mess due to the 3 dropouts while trying to post. I'll have a go at making it coherent once the meds have worn down to a workable level.

Basically though, what or why is this, ReadResponse() failed: The server did not return a complete response for this request. Server returned 0 bytes happening and do the images supply any clues to the WHY? I need to post on Dell Forums and see how to resolve the Even ID: 17 issue to rule that out of being part of the problem.

Just has another weird one when I obtained the proxy server screenshot. I went to the Connections Page in IE to see if there was by some chance a Proxy Setting installed. Maybe Starman hacked me from Musk's Tesla while in orbit but I came across this. Bear in mine that I am logged on as an Administrator, I had right clicked and Run as administrator from the icon that I open IE11 from yet I still have no access to check the LAN Setting because Some settings are managed by your system administrator. WTF?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IE11-connections-lan-setting.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	516220
    Last edited by biggles77; 20th February 2018, 13:31.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

I resolved the first issue on many notebooks by enabling SSL3 in IE settings.

Not sure on the last one.

Have you tried a clean Windows 10 build at all? Please make sure that you get a recovery disk created first though.

As for the Linux side of things i would try the install as you want because i reckon you may be pleasantly surprised. I have Ubuntu running on a Dell XPS 15 and before that it was on a XPS 13 with no dramas.

Comment

Event 17: Updated BIOS, chipset etc., drivers?
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

@ Wulie: I resolved the first issue on many notebooks by enabling SSL3 in IE settings. Yep, tried that and multiple permutations of different combinations but that shouldn't have caused an issue for Chrome and Firefox or do they still piggyback off some IE settings? I should ask my IT Degree daughter but I would have to ask a girl. Click image for larger version  Name:	vomit.gif Views:	2 Size:	373 Bytes ID:	516217It was a Games Programming Degree so she really doesn't know much about real IT. Click image for larger version  Name:	explanation.gif Views:	1 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	516215(I can get away with that one as I am driving her to the airport for the last year of her Double Masters in Japan Click image for larger version  Name:	yahoo.gif Views:	17 Size:	6.2 KB ID:	516216)

Have you tried a clean Windows 10 build at all? Please make sure that you get a recovery disk created first though. Haven't tried a bare bones clean install, just the Fucktory Defaults. I am going to try a Windows 7 one though as there is a Chipset Driver and a Video driver for it. No other Win7 ones though so Wi-Fi may be an issue and USB 3.1 though as there is a driver for Intel USB 3.0/3.1 eXtensible Host Controller however I am first going to cheat and use my previous ly working Windows 7 SSD from my previous device.

As for the Linux side of things i would try the install as you want because i reckon you may be pleasantly surprised. I have Ubuntu running on a Dell XPS 15 and before that it was on a XPS 13 with no dramas. Been a tad reluctant due to how bloody new this hardware it and having to search for the non detected drivers. Old gear has not been a problem but the new stuff I have not tried unless the Manufacturer Support Pages have had Linux flavour of choice drivers specially made. I gotta give Lenovo kudos for supplying the Linux (Ubuntu) drivers. Gen 8 i7 CPU that was only released Q3 last year and the video may be an issue though I haven't had a proper look for the drivers. My search terms may be up the shit so I may be not finding something I isn't searching for. Won't be the first time in my rapidly approaching pension age.

@ Blood: Event 17: Updated BIOS, Yes (18/2/2018 was the latest one) chipset etc., drivers? Yep and yep. All drivers say they are the latest available and won't consider anything else. I have yet to go onto the Dell Forums but this ID: 17 issue has been around since 2007 or 2009 (bloody memory) so it isn't something recent.

Thanks to you both and I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Just wanted to add to Wullie's Dell XPS 15 and XPS13 devices. Haven't seen them run on Linux but the XPS 13 is an impressive little beast running on Windows 7 (yes, it was an old sucker but it still flew).

Will let you know how I get on.
        Last edited by biggles77; 20th February 2018, 13:03.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I didn't notice how stuffed up my reply was last night because I got a nice WYSIWYG display on the screen. I even had all the uploaded and attached images displaying correctly so imagine my confusion when I checked this thread an hour or so ago and discover images missing that related to my post. It wasn't a vB bug this time but something badly askew with Winshit 10. I tried to upload the missing images and got an Error message. Went and dugout the 8 or 9 year old Acer 5630 with Windows 7 and hopefully managed to repair my confusing initial post. Hats off the Wullie and Blood for being able to understand it all even though they were missing images that would have assisted in better understanding my rambling.

I feel I have some or had some competence in IT to a fairly good degree but in the last 6 weeks since I have had this laptop with the Winshit 10 infestation, I just have to wonder how those who don't have 20+ years of IT experience are able to keep their sanity with this abortion of an opposition system (typo deliberate as I believe it does the opposite of trying to make things easier for you). Apple is going to get a big boost of market share because Microshit haven't got this one right. I have retail versions of Windows 7 that I can no longer install onto new hardware because of a collusion between Microshit and the Intel liars (our processors are just fine). The only Monopoly that gives you a choice is made by Milton and Bradley. The Microshit and Inhell sure don't give you a choice.

Windows 7 and Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 were purchased on the basis that they were good until 14 January 2020 for Windows 7 SP1, who knows for Windows 8 coz Microsoft doesn't and 10 January 2023 for Windows 8.1. Winshit 10, you know, Shitware as a forced Service, is listed as 14 October 2025.

If Winshit 10 works for you and you are satisfied with Microshit knowing all about your browsing history, personal details, purchase preferences etc, then I am pleased for you. However, PLEASE keep a some sort of contingency plan hidden away in the back of your mind for the day Microshit start making it difficult for you such as charging of SaaS updates. Microshit has been trying to get down this path since 1997 but the ISPs wouldn't play ball. They now don't need the ISPs to do their dirty work any more. Just read last week that Office 2019 will ONLY run on Winshit 10. Soon you may need their Modems, Routers and Wireless devices before Winshit xxx will connect you to Sleepless in Seattle HQ.

Please forget about my initial post because I will NEVER run Winshit 10 on hardware that I have purchased and own even if the problems are solved.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This might sound daft but is that system running on any kind of domain environemnt at all??

The Some settings are managed by your system administrator is typically somethgn that is done via GPO so looks like a borked install, maybe even an borked recovery.

IMHO download the latest iso for the machine, don't download from Dell but from MS using the media creation tool, and then get the drivers from dell, or if you want to be real snazzy slipstream the cabinet files from Dell into the image and voila no driver installs , and then try again.

I reckon there is something screwed with whatever image you are using.

If you need any help with the driver install give me a buzz. I have the instructions somewhere

Comment

Part Un

Wullie, no suggestions sound daft no matter how daft they sound especially as I hadn't mentioned that it was a standalone machine and not on a Domain.

I have yet to try my Windows 7 SSD so until I do I am not going to dick around with Winshit 10 anymore but go find that spare HDD and download the latest copy of Mint, Sinnerman, Capacino or whatever the latest flavour is. (My jokes certainly don't mature with age either )

I was reading the Dell Forums and there does seem to be some issue(s) with this model and there all appear to be inconsistent. In fact one of them is exhibiting itself now. The fan is running at high speed even though there is dick all running. Most of the time the CPUs are running at 1.8GHz even with up to 10 browser tabs open. It is now running in Turbo mode and there are 2 x IE tabs and a Chrome tab with WhatsApp resting in it.

[And that is where the whole shebang locked up and stopped working]

Let's see if I can upload images now.

The below 2 images show what the Dell was running at with 6 x IE tabs, 4 of which were static and the other 2 were this site. Chrome has a single tab open that was running an inactive WhatsApp. If I can upload the Task Manager image it will show THIRTEEN processes. Later figured out they were caused by some Extensions that I had installed but are no longer there. The amount of memory Chrome was hogging was mind boggling (well to me at least) considering it wasn't really doing anything. The only other thing that was running/open was a single Excel spreadsheet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dell-hwmonitor-1.png Views:	1 Size:	239.3 KB ID:	516258Click image for larger version  Name:	dell-hwmonitor-2.png Views:	1 Size:	142.6 KB ID:	516259

This is what a normal HWMonitor looks like when I am either browsing or looking through the posts here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dell-hwmonitor-normal.png Views:	1 Size:	226.1 KB ID:	516260
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Part Deux

Apologies that my initial posts has gone so far that it is rapidly over hauling a red Tesla Roadstar (my spelling) somewhere in the night sky. As a result, this thread is now a sort of wiki for me so I don't forget what I have checked and what other kind souls have suggested. The Chrome processes had me stumped even after I closed Chrome and the bloody things stayed there. It wasn't until a right click End Task that the light shone round the cavernous pit between my ears. It was then that I was advised that Extension "say your name" crashed that I realised what was causing this memory retention, dare I call it a leak?.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome+ie11.png
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	516262

This is bloody ridiculous that Chrome is sucking 500MB RAM out of my system, well anyone's system that has multiple Extensions installed. Jeez, Windows 98 would get very unhappy if it had 512MB installed without that switch that I have now forgotten yet here we have a single app, tool, utility using that similar amount when the program is sitting idle not actually doing anything. RAM consumption of other applications is even more extreme. Are programmers getting lazier because RAM is becoming cheaper and more plentiful in newer devices? I wanted more RAM so I could run more Virtuals at the same time and not for a web browser to suck it away from my system. Windows 7 x64, clean install and basic apps, Office, Virtual PC, Acrobat, ACDSee would display 1.7GB in use in the Task Manager. Winshit 10 without any other software installed blew me away with 3.5GB on a clean boot. That was half my available in my previous laptop.....HALF (well almost). How many of the poor bastards out there are being sold Winshit 10 with 2GB RAM or 4GB RAM on a 64 bit version? Combine that with a rock bottom priced WD Blue spinning rust and a Commodore 64 or maybe even a Vic 20 would look like a high performance speed demon. (WD Blue chosen as an example because performance wise on the 3" model it was slower than a WD Green. I have no issues with WD HDDs except for the WD Blue spinning rust performance or lack of it).

Gone well eh but it also relates to Winshit 10. I suppose if you work in an office or just use it at home browsing, checking email or streaming Netflix it may be adequate but IMO from what I have experienced in the past 2 years, Winshit 10 it is a steaming pile of poo. I think 8GB is the minimum amount of RAM and I equate that to when the recommended RAM for Vista was 1GB. Surprisingly I liked Vista when I ran it in Virtual PC on an XP laptop with 1GB and thought this isn't too bad. That liking was brought to a screaming halt when I tried running it on actual hardware. Winshit 10 in a VM was never liked by me.

Microsoft, I think, has to write a totally new operating system and dump all the legacy support. If they could get it right and hopefully not use Adobe to co-write any of the code. I was hoping Winshit 10 was going to be that o/s but instead MSFT went for a short term solution for a money stream and force unwilling users to a product that many didn't want and they are not stopping there. Read the other day/month that Office 2019 will only run on Winshit 10. Now if Apple was smart (aren't they lucky Satya Nadella isn't), they would drop their prices to maybe half of their usual profit per unit on a Mac device and clean up by quadrupling their market share. As much as I dislike the control Apple have over their devices, the damn things work.

[/rant off]

Wullie, I very much appreciate the offer with help on extracting the Dell drivers from the cab file. I really do appreciate the offer and cannot adequately express my thanks for that.

I apologies for the long winded rant but I needed to get that off my chest before, well, let's just say before because again the medication induced brain fart has caused a massively reduced vocabulary. If you could have read this waffle before spell check and thesaurus had played their part you would have thought that I had invented a new language ................ for 3 year olds.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You'll probably find that your Win 7 disk won't work with the newer CPU's as they didn't release the drivers for them.

Chrome is an absolute resource hog IMO. I have chrome open now with around 2GB of RAM being used. I'm on the verge of removing it.

MS have moved into the windows as a service space, hence the 2 major updates per year, typically spring and autumn releases. Its just the way things are going unfortunately.

Here's what i'd be doing in your shoes

Remove the HDD/SSD from the system and install a new one that you can use for testing.
                  On another machine download the latest Windows 10 ISO and go to the Dell website and get all the latest drivers and BIOS updates.
                  Install the Windows 10 system from the ISO and install all your drivers, pretty sure there is an installation guide for the drivers if you really want to be pedantic about the install order
                  Update and test with minimal applications that you need installed.

Comment

Apologies for the late response Wullie and again appreciate the input.

I would rather run Windows 8.1 on this than Winshit 10. Might get a tad lucky with the Win7 driver since there is one for the video and there's the Intel one of USB 3.1. The camera will be blindfolded most so no drivers ain't a problem. Audio is Realtek so I imagine I could eventually stumble across a driver. As long as I have sound, 1920 x 1080 and USB 3.1 with the ability to run an SSD, really don't give a crap about the other stuff. Ooops, forgot wireless, that's a tad important. However, first I will try Ubuntu or similar and see how that works. Do not like the idea of being locked into a single operating system that blabs ferociously back to Redmond about everything you do. The HOST. file I have stops a lot of that but I am sure there will be some leakers.

However that is something to do after the ECG and blood test. I have had this machine 6 weeks and have yet to open it. I is very disappointed with me for that. I would like to up the RAM to 16GB and the Wireless to a 2x2 because size counts and if one doesn't have an ego, so does speed. Dell have made a nice machine but they should have created the drivers for different operating systems for it. There is still 22 months before End of Life for Windows 7 and 4 years 10 months for Windows 8.1

My big issue with Winshit 10 is the constant change of setting locations (and not just settings) and where things are located. It happens to be a massive problem to people who have memory issues due to medication or the onset of Alan Zymer's disease. It drives me nuts when the bloody supermarkets keep changing product location and now there isn't any floating staff to ask.

As tends to happen with my posts, . How is the NBN in your part of this country of political lack of integrity? I lost the lottery and have a green box sitting 2mts from my back fence but 398mts from the pit in my driveway. It's been sitting there for 10 months now but it died 2 or 3 days after being activated. Just wondering if you are having similar fun games. I should move back to NZ and bathe in the luxury of a 1000/400 plan for NZ$135 with no data limits. You're in the wrong country Wullie because here not only can they take your lives but they can also take away our freedom (haven't watched that movie yet).

I'll post back when I finally put in a new HDD and/or SSD and see what works. Hope your year has less travel in it for you.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All good Chris. We're all busy people here

Yeah you might struggle with Windows 8.1 as well.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/window...next-gen-cpus/

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows as a Service. With 2 releases annually its only going to get worse. We're actually looking at skipping one of those versions and going for an annual upgrade.

NBN isn't scheduled until end of 2019. Might just wait for 5g which is supposed to blow NBN away

Comment

Working...
                      X