Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Version Windows 10

So here's an interesting one

I rebuilt a client's PC (Win 10) as it was unable to reach the desktop or even a logon prompt. Recovered his data AOK (remoived his drive a took it off physically) but when I went to rebuild it asks me what version (Home, Pro, whatever) ... I didn't know and nor did the client. I tried lots of things from the advanced recovery options but none of them told me and eventually I installed Win 10 Pro which wouldn't activate, a license check told me that the machine was registered as Win 10 Home.

So yeah, it worked and it activated as Win 10 Home but I had to build it twice which was a pain ... anyone any idea how I can avoid this should a similar issue arise?

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

If he had linked it to a Microsoft account, you can log in from another machine and go into the details (My devices or something similar) and see which devices / editions he has.

Obviously if not linked, there is no chance of that
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

anyone any idea how I can avoid this should a similar issue arise?
      Use Linux?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Use Linux?
        Pfah! Linux ain't never bin no good 'n nevuh will be.

Just joking ... it is clearly a competent OS, it just isn't for me and I doubt it ever will be.

Keke

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          If he had linked it to a Microsoft account, you can log in from another machine and go into the details (My devices or something similar) and see which devices / editions he has.

Obviously if not linked, there is no chance of that
          That would mean he would have to give me his log on details right? Depends on who but I can see times that might not go down too well.

Keke

Comment

Working...
          X