FTP access from Windows/Internet Explorer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP access from Windows/Internet Explorer

I have an external HDD drive attached to the router Asus RT-N18U and have it configured as a FTP Share. The problem is i can only access this ftp from Chrome Browser.
    If i try from IE i get "This page canít be displayed" error, and from Windows Explorer i get the attached error.
    In Internet Options I have enabled "Enable FTP folder view" and "Use passive FTP" options.

Can anyone help me out?
    Attached Files

Does the Asus RT-N18U have a web interface where you can configure access to the (USB) external drive? I would go through the settings and make sure that network access is properly configured.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Yes, it has a web interface. That is where i configured the USB HDD as a FTP share. I think that everything is configured properly there, since the i can access the ftp from Chrome without any issues.
      I believe the problem is somewhere within IE settings, but i can't figure out where

Comment

Have you tried resetting IE, and/or running it with no add-ons? Can you access other FTP sites using I.E.?

Comment

Good point
          Haven't thought of trying this. I tried now and they work. So what could be the problem?

Comment

What worked (Reset IE or No Addons)?
            Basically, turn settings on one by one until failure
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Other ftp sites worked from IE and Windows Explorer. I don't use IE at all, so nothing to reset, it's as default as can be

Comment

Deleted this response.
                Last edited by Blood; 5th May 2017, 14:30. Reason: Wrong suggestion/Q

Comment

Have you made sure the router is using the latest firmware - it was last updated 24th April. Have you also gone through the manual's instructions for setting up FTP access - check to make sure everything is properly configured.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN1...Desk_Download/

Comment

Yes, router is on latest firmware. I am pretty sure the FTP access is set up properly. I think the problem may be with the access to Asus DDNS from IE/Windows Explorer. The link is in the format ftp://[myname].asuscomm.com. I also tried to access the ftp using the IP address and it also woks only from chrome.
                    Unfortunately i don't have any advanced network knowledge, so maybe someone can point out what maybe the issue here.

Comment

Which version of I.E. are you using?

Comment

Finally - I used to be a staunch supporter of I.E. over Chrome in years past. However, Chrome has overtaken it. I have found that sites do not render properly, or simply do not load (the same with Edge). Is there a compelling reason for you to use I.E.? Also, if other FTP sites work, I really would double-check the settings on the router and if they are correct, contact ASUS support. If you find a solution - please post back with the response.

Comment

I am using IE 11, but this is not that relevant. I am not really interested in access from IE, but from Windows Explorer.
                          I would like some people to have access to the ftp share via a folder like shortcut. I mentioned the IE access problem because i thought that it might be related to windows explorer access issue.
                          In the meantime i tested the access through Chrome from different computers outside my LAN and it worked in all cases. At the same time the access from IE or Windows Explorer did not work on any of them.
                          I was hoping that maybe someone else here has set up a ftp share through ASUS and maybe has some insight. I think the next step is to contact asus support.

Comment

When you mentioned above that you also tried using ftp://<IP Address> did you use the LAN address - e.g. 192.168.1.1 or whatever it may be, as opposed to a publicly routable IP address?

Comment

I tried both IPs. Neither work from IE/Windows Explorer; both work from Chrome.

Comment

Working...
                              X