Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 on my Dell latitude E6420 help needed

Hey guys,

To start off guys i'm not so computer literate so to speak, please bare with my poor terminology if you guys are pro's. I have had my Dell Latitude E6420 for about 5 years now but i haven't used it for about a year, It's been locked away. I decided to get it out and running again to use as a work laptop something that is easy to carry around. I hit the power button and started up fine all was running like it should, as you could imagine i had loads of updates available one was the option to update to windows 10 from the original windows 7 system. Since i have done the update to Windows 10 there is just problem after problem. My laptop keeps freezing at random points i could be doing next to nothing or i could have the laptop doing 300 activities and it will freeze either way, so i have to force shutdown the laptop by holding the power button. Then when turning on again my laptop isn't detecting my wireless mouse so i have to shutdown the laptop and turn it on again for it to pick up the mouse. Finally the speakers/sound card keeps not wanting to work without me troubleshooting the volume icon first, and then might only let me use the headphones or the speakers (volume 100% speakers don't work, put head phones in, they work. This can also happen the opposite way round speakers on 100% and work, plug headphones in, don't work???)
    I have something i have to mess around with everyday without a doubt. I need some software for sale or downloadable either way to fix these problems i am having with Windows 10 unless it's my computer. I will place the specs below they might help.

SPECS
    Model: Dell Latitude E6420
    RAM: 4GB
    Hard Drive: 1TB
    Processor: Intel core i5 vpro
    Year: Roughly 2009

If there are any more specs you need just let me know and i will add them on. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated guys i am looking forward to talking to everyone.

Thanks
    Last edited by woodward; 29th October 2016, 08:30.

Given the age of the laptop, and the upgrade to Win 10, you probably have a lot of legacy c**p on there. I would consider a complete wipe and reinstall and see if that fixes things. If not, it may be hardware failing - for example the freezing could be associated with processor fans getting clogged with dust, in which case a good internal clean (c/o your local computer shop, possilbly?) may help. If all that fails, after 6 years, it may be time to treat yourself to a new laptop.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have seen this with Dell (and other brand names) devices. Dell Product Support The important part of this page is in the top middle about 6" or 15cm down. Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade.

First, your device is SEVEN years old. 2016 - 2009 = 7 . Ok, you may have a late 2009 so it may be 6 years and 10 months old. I would suggest you do a Factory Default on the laptop and put it back to the original operating system (I assume it was Windows 7) as you may find it doesn't like Windows 8.1 much either. I found this with a Dell Vostro of the same year. Yes, different hardware but same warning on their support page about a Windows 10 upgrade. If you decide to restore to Factory Default, I have the link below for you. Just be aware that the Upgrades shall take some time and will add up. I did a clean install of Windows 7 with SP1 slipstreamed and Windows 10 SP1 and there were about 352 or more Updates and 3,400+MB. If you get a couple of hundred Updates to do, do not do them all in one hit. I have had many of them fail and then spend hours (well almost) waiting for them to be removed on the reboot. Chunks of 20 or so at a time seemed to work best and reboot after each install, even if they fail. Work from the top of the Update list and go down.

How to restore your Windows 7 computer to factory settings

Comment

First off because i like the lay out of Windows 10 i will give what Ossian said a try if that doesn't help then a full factory reset it is... as said above i might just treat myself to a new laptop then!! Any suggestions on a Windows 10 supported Laptop that has a good RAM and Processor??? that i can start doing some research on??

Thanks for the reply's guys

Comment

What is your budget?

I love my MS Surface Book (i5, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD) but it ain't cheap. The benefits are Pen (note taking, drawing), detachable tablet part and above all an excellent 3000x2000 pixel screen
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            What is your budget?

I love my MS Surface Book (i5, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD) but it ain't cheap. The benefits are Pen (note taking, drawing), detachable tablet part and above all an excellent 3000x2000 pixel screen
            Grrrrrr, would like one myself, hell, I would take a Pro 3.

Woodward, just be aware of all the spyware on Windows 10. As you read down the list in the link, please note that there are ways to significantly reduce your exposure to Microslurp.

As Ossian mentioned above, your budget is important if you are looking at something new. Here at JJ King laptops we have a full range....... , seriously, do not consider anything that doesn't have an SSD for the drive ( IMO ). I just replaced a mechanical drive on a 2 year old laptop with a 500GB SSD, installed Windows 8.1 and after all software was installed, boot was 11 seconds and shutdown was 3, yes THREE seconds from click Shutdown until all lights off. Now that is Muhammad Ali fast. Previously it was 2 minute boot and almost as long to shutdown.

Comment

Wow the difference is massive mine must take about 10-15 seconds to turn off and about 1 minute to turn on.... I haven't really got a budget but i wan't my moneys worth something fresh and top of the range but still portable

Comment

Download the ISO file using the tool from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10

Download your drivers from Dell. http://support.ap.dell.com is my local one.

Do a clean installation.

Comment

There are NO Dell drivers for this version wullieb1, well the product was not test for the Windows 10 Upgrade. Ergo, Dell has no Windows 10 driver (I peeked when I researched for a different Dell hardware so I knew where to look for this one ).

I have an 8 year old Acer and Windows 10 runs surprisingly well on it however not all old gear likes Win10. There was a Sony Viao that the Windows Upgrade tool said "yep bubba, load it on" but the Sony support site said they were NOT making Windows 10 drivers for that model. The result was Windows 10 would install but half the hardware didn't have drivers. This is not an uncommon story.

Woodward, if you have the time to spare try a clean install. Who knows, it might work. I would suggest a different HDD so you don't wipe out the Recovery Partition that is on your present HDD. Buy the wife something nice so you can justify the SSD to install in it. If it doesn't work then a $10 USB 3 enclosure will make a nice fast backup device for the new laptop you are considering and that will have USB3.1 SS. Backup from SSD to SSD enclosure will be mighty quick.

Woodward, one last link for you to read if you want Windows 10. Stop Windows 10 Telemetry Even Windows Explorer (note, NOT Internet Explorer) has it's own "phone home" line. Now why would it need that?

Comment

Working...
                  X