No announcement yet.

Slow Boots/Shutdowns

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Boots/Shutdowns

Has anyone experienced slow booting or startups and, if so, what can be done about it?

Shutdown is worst, my system powers down then sits there apparently for something between 30 and 60 seconds before shutting off. I suspect it is creating some kind hibernation file.

J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Could it be related to Windows updates? I've noticed some flunky behaviour when updates are ready e.g. notifications of updates finishing installation after starting - I had not realised they were being installed on the previous shutdown and I do not often wait until the PC has finished shutting down so would not know if had taken a long time.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Hi, does it get to the screen that says 'shutting down' and there is the circle thing going around? If it gets that far then usually it's hanging on the services.
      There is a registry value that you can change to speed this part of the shutdown up. It's called WaitToKillServiceTimeout. It's shown on here along with some other stuff to try.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.