Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Browser - who are they kidding

<RANT ON>
    So I am trying to use Edge instead of IE on my recently upgraded Surface Pro 3.
    Looks quite swish, although I cannot apparently transfer my start tabs from IE
    So try downloading something. Default location is in my profile, so lets change it.
    IE: Go to the downloads window, click a link and choose the new location
    Edge: Go to REGEDIT, navigate about 10 levels down, create a new key, then enter the location as the value (non admins need not apply)....
    ...oh, then restart Edge

having done that, downloads go to the new location, but the "Open Folder" option doesn't work (I don't know if it did before, but it definitely doesn't now!)

OK, next download gets blocked by SmartScreen (which I want on)
    IE: Right click the popup, and allow the download anyway (after due diligence, of course)
    Edge: Apparently you can have SmartScreen ON or OFF, but no way of over-riding for a single download

I'm sure I'll find a few more little gems, but that's enough for now....
    <RANT OFF (but not SMARTSCREEN OFF)>

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Ah yes, another happy customer. MS must be so proud of their failware.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah, some aspects of W10 do make you think it's still a technical preview. The biggest annoyance for me with Edge at the moment is that you can't disable the prompts from the pop-up blocker. I don't need to be told the browser has blocked a pop-up, that's it's job. Still prefer W10 over 8.1 on my Surface though to be honest.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'm coming to the same conclusion, although WiFi on the Surface Pro 3 is distinctly more temperamental than Win8.1, but I am generally happy with the Win 10 experience - Edge apart
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree with your comments about Edge. I download a LOT of material on my home machine. I have stopped using Edge because, as you say, it does not allow you to choose the download target and when I click the Open Folder option, the folder opens behind edge. Also, when I choose to open a link in a new tab you cannot configure Edge so that it automatically switches to the new tab.

It handles some sites better than others (for example, under I.E.11, ello.co was unmanageable), but I frequently find that when following links a blank page opens instead of the link, or I get a page can not be found. Switch to I.E.11 and the same links work fine.

Apart from that I'm fairly happy. Except for the fact you need to employ several additional clicks to get tasks done - initiating a VPN connection for instance...
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Edge is poor. ok for some level of browsing, filling in forms on certain websites however is very slow!

Comment

Working...
            X