No announcement yet.

WIN 10 upgrade Drawbacks

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN 10 upgrade Drawbacks

I understand the magnanimous offer of the free 10 upgrade for Win 7 and 8.2 users is not quite such a hot bargain. Apparently many of the improvements / updates in the future, which of course will be free to those who actually bought Win10, will not be free to those who just upgraded.

Also unlike all previous versions of Windows, you no longer have any control of which updates are being installed, such as if as happened in the past one particular update keeps trying to reinstall again and again.

Is all this true? Gordon

Would you care to post a reference to the first part - AFAIK all updates will be available to registered/activated copies of Windows 10

Agreed, you have less control over the updates, although you can prevent them installing without warning. I'm still working on how they work with WSUS, which should give businesses some control over them. For home users there are some WSUS like products (nanite?) which again put you in control over updates
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I believe the Enterprise version running Update from WSUS can have a 4 month delay applied to the Updates.

Gordon, Windows 7 End of Life is January 14, 2020. I for one am not upgrading since who knows what Windows will be like in 2020 will look like and I am not going to use Windows 10.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Disable Automatic Windows Updates