Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESD to ISO script

Hi

I found this script inserted in the http://deploymentresearch.com/Resear...y-tools-needed page but I can not understand why the author creates, first, an empty volume image in the boot.wim and install.wim files, and then they are deleted. Why?

Thanks

Bye
    balubeto

Because that's the way it works. Review the comments in the script you linked to and you will see:
    Code:
     # Create empty boot.wim file with compression type set to maximum

# Export base Windows PE to empty boot.wim file (creating a second index)

# Delete the first empty index in boot.wim
    This is not "creating an empty volume then deleting it - it is creating an index entry in the wim file

tbh, if it works, why worry?

Thanks
    Dye
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Because that's the way it works. Review the comments in the script you linked to and you will see:
      Code:
       # Create empty boot.wim file with compression type set to maximum

# Delete the first empty index in boot.wim
      This is not "creating an empty volume then deleting it - it is creating an index entry in the wim file

tbh, if it works, why worry?

Thanks
      Dye
      I'm sorry but if I were writing only:

Code:
      dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable
      dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:4 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\install.wim /Compress:Recovery
      DISM would not work the boot.wim and install.wim files? Why?

Thanks

Bye
      balubeto

Comment

Can you post your entire script, plus any errors you get when running it

What are you trying to achieve?

Thanks
        Dye
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Can you post your entire script, plus any errors you get when running it

What are you trying to achieve?

Thanks
          Dye
          I think I understand:

The commands above must have an existing .wim file to work. Right?

Thanks

Bye
          balubeto

Comment

In the script, the boot.wim file will have two bootable volume images:

Code:
            dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable

# Export Windows PE with Setup to boot.wim file
            dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:3 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable
            Why?

What is the difference between this volume images?

Thanks

Bye
            balubeto

Comment

Working...
            X