Windows 10 network drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 network drivers

Hi there, sincce doing the upgrade to windows 10 from 8 I'm having major network issues, the internet will work for random periods at a time, I know its not my internet as everything else is working fine. The network card is a Realtek one, anyone else having issues.

You mention drivers in your title - have you checked for driver updates for the Realtek card?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Realtek don't have windows 10 drivers, already checked

Comment

Well, you've just answered part of your own question. However, have you checked that the Internet connection sharing (described as the equivalent of P2P) has been disabled?
        http://betanews.com/2015/07/31/stop-...-other-people/

Comment

My other machines are not windows machines they are linux and apple which are fine. Its so annoying, the network card has the latest driver so cant do much more, what a start for windows 10.

Comment

Why blame Microsoft because Realtek doesn't have Windows 10 drivers for that particular network card? Is that network card on the Windows 10 HCL? If you want a computer that's going to support all of your hardware in Windows 10 then buy one that's certified for Windows 10. If not, then stop complaining.

I'm not trying to be harsh but I get tired of seeing people complain about Microsoft. They have a hardware compatibility list. They have a hardware certification program. Hardware vendors make use of this program to make sure their hardware will work with Windows. If your hardware isn't on the HCL for Windows 10 and you try to install and use Windows 10 and it doesn't work then you have nobody to blame but yourself. Neither Microsoft nor the hardware vendor have any responsibility to support your old hardware on newer Operating Systems. The fact that they do in most cases is to your benefit and you should be grateful for that. If your old hardware doesn't work and isn't supported then you should purchase new hardware... that is supported.
            Last edited by joeqwerty; 5th August 2015, 22:43.

Comment

Rofl, serious rofl, never heard so much tosh, im not going to write a big spiel like you did but to not expect Microsoft to have drivers for a windows 8 certified motherboard that is around 16 months old, sorry, complete and utter nonsense. Aint it amazing that something that is free does, enough said.

Comment

A windows 8 certified motherboard != a windows 10 certified motherboard. Why should you expect it? Does Microsoft or Realtek have a responsibility to you to support hardware on an Operating System that was released 16 months after the release of the hardware? They don't. The fact that they do in most cases is a benefit, not a right. If I installed Windows 10 on a system that didn't have supported drivers for a particular component I wouldn't make a post complaining about it, I'd purchase hardware that is supported. It's not nonsense, it's common sense

Comment

Joe is absolutely correct. If your hardware is not supported you need to buy hardware that is. Network cards are not expensive. Updated drivers or supported hardware make all the difference. Many companies stop making dedicated drivers for products once the hardware becomes 'old'. If that happens before a new OS is released then that hardware will not be able to support the new features the OS introduces.

But, you have not answered the question about disabling the 'shared' updates delivery feature.

Comment

Just to clarify, it is on the hcl list, so that's that out the way, shared updates is off. As I say we seem to be off to a poor start.

Comment

Are the drivers in use the Microsoft ones?
                      If so, try the Realtek Win8 drivers for the same architecture - you can always roll back
                      (Also, what is the actual model of Ethernet card involved?)

If it is a desktop, consider an alternative card (presuming you are using an onboard one)
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Apparently, Microsoft have just released the first Windows 10 update and it has been described as 'hefty'. Get that installed and see if it helps. A search shows that quite a few people have experienced network connectivity problems so perhaps this update may help in fixing that.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

Unfortunately, it looks as though the only way to get it is through Windows Update - there does not appear to be a dedicated download link.

More info here: http://www.computerworld.com/article...10-update.html

Comment

cheers guys for the input, yeah I heard about an update coming out but it was through windows update which is a problem haha, got to laugh. I'll check the driver tonight to see what one its using.

Comment

I've now reverted to the windows driver instead of the Microsoft driver, completed windows updates and I seem to be ok, need to give it a bit longer to know for sure.

Comment

I take it back, as bad as ever, I either go back to windows 8 or buy another network card, I have no faith in another card though as my botherboard and lan driver is now windows 10 certified or maybe asus are just advertising the lan card as win 10 certified but its really a windows 8 driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X