Windows 10 FREE Upgrade - The down side

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 FREE Upgrade - The down side

Have a friend who upgraded his Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10. He then replaced the video adapter and Windows 10 was no longer activated and now requires them to PURCHASE a copy of Windows 10 from Micro$oft. Lucky he has the Windows 7 media to revert back to.

Wonder what other hardware changes deactivates this not so free software. Wonder what a RAM increase of reduction does?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

That's mad, my kids upgrade their graphics cards every 6 months. What about swapping in a SSD? Mad. Still, I suppose they can phone up and get it sorted.

Comment

Now we see what "for the life of the device" actually means!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well some new info about hardware changes.

Changing RAM doesn't appear to be an issue but it was all the same speed so not totally definitive.
        Changing Sound Cards Win10 didn't object.
        Changing a Core 2 Duo CPU to a slower Core 2 Duo was ok but changing to a non Core 2 Duo was NOT. I suspect changing from an i5 to an i7 may also be an issue.
        Windows 10 was installed with the COM Ports disabled in the BIOS. When the COM Ports were enabled, Win10 had a hissy fit and deactivated. Must have thought it was a new motherboard. I wonder if the same happens if you decide to disable the COM Ports after installing Win10.

So far not a good omen. Will have to ask them to change a NIC and see if that upsets it. I seem to remember that changing the NIC or adding one would upset XP.

1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the info. The main issues I've seen reported by friends on Facebook relate to Windows Edge - many are cursing it. Others are complaining that Chrome does not work (while others have no problems). Most hardware issues (devices not being recognised) have been fixed by driver updates.

I've not upgraded yet - I'm still watching the flak.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Microsoft can't win - everyone has been cursing IE for years and when they bin it everyone curses the replacement! I've found Edge to work quite well, and it tells you if it has issues with a site and asks if you want to open it in IE for legacy sites.

I haven't had any issues so far on my Surface, and it's far smoother on 10 than 8.1 with a hybrid device. The tablet mode works pretty well and the UI is much more consistent in each mode. Haven't had any hardware issues, and Firefox works fine which is my browser of choice. Only slight issue is that there's no fully featured version of RSAT that I can find as yet
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

And this is the problem - there will be many people complaining simply because they don't understand it.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Have a friend who upgraded his Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10. He then replaced the video adapter and Windows 10 was no longer activated and now requires them to PURCHASE a copy of Windows 10 from Micro$oft. Lucky he has the Windows 7 media to revert back to.

Wonder what other hardware changes deactivates this not so free software. Wonder what a RAM increase of reduction does?
                It works the same as previous versions of Windows. If you change too much of the hardware at the same time you will need to activate again. But there's no need to purchase a copy, you just need to activate by phone. Shouldn't have any issues.

Here's an article about Windows Product Activation for XP but it should still apply. http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X