Windows 10 and July 29

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 and July 29

Just over 2 weeks before Windows 10 goes Pyrite. Who is intending on taking advantage of the incredible offer from Microsoft and upgrade to it for FREE?

Yes, I will gladly Upgrade to Windows 10.
    66.67%
    No, not just now.
    0%
    Maybe, I will wait and see.
    22.22%
    Linux, here I come.
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

I will. Been using the preview and it actually looks ok to me.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      I will. Been using the preview and it actually looks ok to me.
      It doesn't look to Macish to you Wullie?

How about MS and their not so gently shoving you to use the Cloud. They were trying to do that in 1997 by having ISP based apps but the ISPs refused to collect the fees the user would have paid to applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. Imagine back then when oh so many Internet users still had dial-up and were hanging off the ISP analogue modems with User to Modem ratios of 8 to 1. If you couldn't connect to your ISP then you couldn't create a Word document. How about now where documents are saved to the Cloud? ISP goes offline, the phone exchange goes down, an optic fibre cable is cut by some idiot on a backhoe. With your data saved in the Cloud, how do you access it? It has taken MS 18 years to get this far. How few more before the Cloud is going to be a massive Terminal Server with EVERYTHING only available from it. Windows 10 is a jump in that direction in what I believe is an attempt to get the vast majority locked into being totally dependant on MS. Why else are they giving away the product for free for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users? How much market share do those 3 platforms have?

Sorry, but I just do NOT trust them. Did they not after all "licence" Spyglass Mosaic for their first web browser and agreed to pay $5 for each copy sold then GAVE to software away with Windows 95 for FREE so they didn't have to pay Spyglass Inc a cent because they never sold a copy of Spyglass Mosaic. With ethics or should I say lack of ethics like that, they do NOT inspire any confidence at all. Yes they are there to make money and provide a product but how many companies and people have got the rough end of the pineapple shoved where the sun don't shine in their quest for world domination. Windows 10 for free is just another BOHICA gift from Microsoft.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It does a little but it just seems more polished than Windows 8/8.1 IMO.

I like the fact that the start menu is back, although its not the start menu we all know and love. It does feel a little bit quicker than 8/8.1 but maybe that's just my experience of it.

I'd love to get it on a tablet device but work won't let me

The cloud thing is probably inevitable TBH. Its just the way things are now. I've had OneDrive, formally known as SkyDrive, for many years and use it to store docs I could need access to in a hurry. Other stuff I have locally on a NAS. I essentially use it just as a backup for what I think is important.

Comment

I will definitely take advantage of the free upgrade. I was thinking about purchasing my copy but am going to wait and see how this works out for a 'perpetual' OS. I suspect it will be offered as a subscription, but I have no problems with that.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I will upgrade, probably on my Surface so I can try it on a tablet and get used to it. Be a good while before it gains any traction over 7 though.

I'm actually running Windows 10 Mobile on my phone at the moment, it's getting quite polished and there are some nice new features.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've got the preview running and i'm quite cheery about the prospect of deploying it wholesale
              At the same time, my laptop is a business machine, I've spent 3 years crafting it and making it act the way it does. I haven't even upgraded to 8.1
              My main concern about upgrading would be the time I would need to actually do a fresh install (no way will I in-place, sorry) and then recustomise it. Maybe I could just buy another SSD..

I was going to get 10 on my phone, but then I gave it similar consideration, when i was thinking about it, there still seemed to be a few bugs and having bought a phone outright, I couldn't risk bricking it or having it not work
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I plan to test on a couple of old machines then upgrade my Surface Pro 3 fairly soon.
                My main machines will stay on 8.0 as I run a lot of older Hyper-V VMs that won't import into 8.1 (so presumably not into 10 either) - thanks Microsoft for that one....
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would be interested in seeing it run on a touch screen like Surface Pro, however I read an article today that makes me want to avoid upgrading to Win10. MS should have made this an opt-in. I think this is a really bad idea as most users are not tech savvy enough to properly control access. Windows 10 Wi-Fi Sharing
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It says that if you choose the Express installation this will be done - that's grim! However, it does imply that if you customise the installation you can choose to disable that functionality. Nice one - thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

Thanks for that Express install info Mark. As I mentioned in my previous post, how many non savvy users will choose a Custom install? Just building a clean Win7 install on my only SSD and I shall then see if I can get Win10 to upgrade. I built a machine last weekend and was looking for the Upgrade KB so I could disable it as the user only wants Windows 7 but the KB 3035583 upgrade wasn't available until most of the 1.2GB worth of Updates were installed. Most annoying as I just wanted, with my build, to install KB3035583 and not have to download the 162+ worth of Important Updates plus another 160+ Optional updates since Windows 10 is going to wipe what is on the drive anyway.

It is however quite interesting to see how many Dot Net Framework Updates there are. I wonder what sort of problems they were having with that. The last 2 Patch Tuesdays didn't have any Dot Net Framework fixes. Mmmm.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I guess that those updates are required to make it Win10 'ready'. And regarding the sharing of the connection - bleurrgh.... I think automatically sharing that is wrong. They must have a very narrow view of how social networks operate.

Comment

Sorry, a bit na´ve
                          These are "older" (2010 generation) MCT training VMs - produced by Microsoft and exported ready for import, so you would think they would be OK, but in fact you hit the problems described in http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/ar...to-import.aspx

The "solution" is to create new VMs and recreate all the networking - not an option when some courses have up to 40 VMs per delegate or to import into 2012/W8, then re-export

So my training laptops will stay on Win8 for the foreseeable future
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

More on the Bandwidth usage issue here

Comment

And it is enabled by DEFAULT, if I understand the article correctly. Wonder what else is in Felix the Cat's bag of tricks? Really not good for those on plans that pay for their Uploads or the Upload counts towards you total bandwidth.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X