Unwanted Win 10 related updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted Win 10 related updates

I see there are rumours MS have already started dumping unwanted updates for Win 7 and Win 8.1 on us relating to Win 10 irrespective of whether we will want to risk updating to Win 10 or not. Is that true?

No - they can't give you updates for an operating system that is not installed.

Perhaps your source is confusing the so called 'update' that allows you to 'reserve' your copy of Windows 10 that has been delivered to Win7, Win8 and 8.1.

biggles77 refers to it here in post 6
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

What do you mean by "dumping unwanted updates for Win 7 and Win 8.1 on us"?
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
        I see there are rumours MS have already started dumping unwanted updates for Win 7 and Win 8.1 on us relating to Win 10 irrespective of whether we will want to risk updating to Win 10 or not. Is that true?
        What risks are involved?

You also get the option of whether you want to install Windows 10 by going through the reserve feature.

Comment

Someone here has already warned me here is a considerable risk in allowing the huge upgrade to Win 10 causing the hard drive to crash, especially with an older PC. So I have trued to block any attempts to download a Win 10 download. Pity the Win 10 icon in the bottom right of the toolbar is still showing when you opted not the download the upgrade. I makes you wonder if the option not to download it has really been blocked.

I have had enough trouble trying to understand Win 7 and Win 8.1 without a Win 10 full of gimmicks I doubt I will ever need. Thank goodness the very kind free Classic Shell at http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/ has allowed me to block the silly massive Tablet like desktop of Win 8.1 in favour of the sensible old Win XP like desktop.

Comment

How to remove Windows 10 upgrade icon in the System Tray Here's a little bit of reading for you Gordon. Choose any of those listed in the link to the left. There is a post somewhere on here with a link (or instructions) on how to remove the upgrade curse. In case it isn't mentioned in the removal article you read, once the "thing" is uninstalled, go to Windows Updates, find KB3035583, right click on it and select Hide update. That should ensure it doesn't get installed again; well it worked for me as I couldn't be stuffed fiddling around with the Registry at the moment to make it permanent.

Any problems post back here and we will get them sorted.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Beware those addicted to almost anything new. It looks like Win 10 may not be free for long, before you have to pay for its updates. See http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ws-10-charges/

Comment

The fact that Microsoft may charge for updates is old news. What is unknown is how the pricing will work and anyone can write anything on that until Microsoft actually tell us what the plan is. If you decide to give an operating system away for free, you have to recoup your investment one way or another. Two years or four years is still going to help a lot of people.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I've used this reg key add method in my deployments and on my home computers and it's worked well for me I've found that removing update KB3035583 and hiding it works well and does the trick, but when sysprepping/deploying images the update shows up again. After some testing the below method has been the most robust way of dealing with it for me. I've tried it on Win7 and Win 8.1.

if you just want to disable the GWX (Get Windows X) app, and keep the update installed, use the Registry Editor (Regedit) to create the following registry key and value. Or, copy and paste the following code into a text file with .reg extension, and then execute it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Gwx]
                  "DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

https://www.basic.co.uk/news.nsf/ite...-10-update.htm
                  Last edited by uk_network; 14th July 2015, 04:48.
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
                  X