Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Windows 10 "Upgrade" Icon

Thank YOU Susan Bradley

Really should be posted in Windows 7 and Windows 8 Forums but that would be a double post and............ Click image for larger version

Name:	adminwatch.gif
Views:	4
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	490855
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Personally I would like the opposite - get the icon on a domain joined PC (I have a couple of candidates on my home domain for early upgrade, but at present you cannot register unless in a workgroup)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Personally I would like the opposite - get the icon on a domain joined PC (I have a couple of candidates on my home domain for early upgrade, but at present you cannot register unless in a workgroup)
      Gasp! Just did some searching and folks are saying you need to remove the PC from the domain, register for the upgrade, then re-join the domain. But, from the descriptions of the files that the GWX application uses, it looks like domain members are excluded just as you say. I understood that the upgrade offer was not available to enterprise editions, so wonder what the status of lowly domain 'Pro' editions will be.

Some people are talking about removing machines from the domain when the upgrade is available, upgrading to Windows 10, then joining the domain again.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

AIUI the disjoining from the domain is purely for registration - and that the upgrade will be for domain and non-domain PCs - presumably some alternative mechanism will be made available for harassed domain admins in the future...?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My question is, will Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8 Enterprise and Windows 8.1 Enterprise actually qualify for this deal? This is what we installed onto school networks when I was doing that job. I think 400,000+ devices is just a tad tooooo many for that. Add an image to WDS and let it do the work for you. If you have a business with more than 50 machines, do you really want to dump them from the Domain, Upgrade and join them back on again? Lot of work but I suppose the monetary savings would be worth the tech costs.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

AFAIK the free upgrade does not apply to Enterprise (small print somewhere on here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...o-you-qualify/)
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

As I understand it, Microsoft assumes (or authors of the articles I have read assume) that those with Enterprise versions also have the appropriate license enabling them to upgrade to the next version of the OS.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
              X