Question, possibly stupid, possibly not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question, possibly stupid, possibly not

Comptia apparently loves the OSI 7 layer diagram on their Net+ test. In the 10 years I have been a systems admin that has been useful exactly zero times. Now my experience is limited to what we have here, so my (very serious) question to you guys is this: Is there any REAL reason to know that? Has it ever actually been useful to you and if so how? I am having a hard time motivating myself to learn everything about this and just knowing that it may be useful at some point would be helpful.

Thanks
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Re: Question, possibly stupid, possibly not

Yes, I've found the OSI model quite useful.

It helps one understand how data is encapsulated in segments, packets and frames, which is a great help when you're troubleshooting communications and network problems; once you've verified, say, layer 3 connectivity, it's reasonably safe to assume that the problem exists at one of the layers above.

It also enables precise communication between professionals. I wish more software developers would take the time to familiarize themselves with basic network theory such as the OSI model.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
      Yes, I've found the OSI model quite useful.

It helps one understand how data is encapsulated in segments, packets and frames, which is a great help when you're troubleshooting communications and network problems; once you've verified, say, layer 3 connectivity, it's reasonably safe to assume that the problem exists at one of the layers above.

It also enables precise communication between professionals. I wish more software developers would take the time to familiarize themselves with basic network theory such as the OSI model.
      I have to agree completely.

Understanding the OSI model will give you a reasonable understanding of the concepts behind networking.

Comment

I agree as well. Understanding the 7 layer OSI model (and how the 4 layer TCP/IP model maps to it) is fundamental in understanding networking.

Comment

For a small environments. I think the "Network/System" admins can get away with the knowledge of layer 1 and layer 7.

In a medium/large environment. Understand OSI model and know how packets flow is making troubleshooting easier and it make us look like we know what we are doing without blindly finger pointing.

Comment

Even for the most basic level of troubleshooting, the OSI model comes in handy.

Users loses connection to the network.
            First layer: physical; is everything plugged in securely?
            Second layer: data link; do we have a link light and can we ping the gateway?
            Third layer: network; can we see past the gateway?

And so on and so forth. The OSI represents a logical progression of steps for effective troubleshooting procedure. For network admins, it's invaluable.

Comment

it's basic underlying knowledge.

you probably just don't realise you know it and use it.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you wish to really understand TCP/IP and how data is transmitted from one application on one computer to another application on a different computer then the OSI model is essential. As Ser Olmey says, once you understand this and can see how data is encapsulated and the packets handed down the various layers in the model, you can more effectively troubleshoot data transport (network) issues.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

if you hunt around, i think there's a post from me asking something stupid about OSi layers vs TCP layers..
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X