• Show
Clear All

• My review of the VCP5 exam

I took and passed the VCP5 exam today, here's my review of the exam:
    http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com/2011/11/exam-review-vcp5.html

Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Re: My review of the VCP5 exam

What's your opinion of the course track in relation to the exam objectives? I found there to be little similarity between the two which was quite disappointing.

Comment

My opinion? It doesn't take much investigation to come to that conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by scott28tt View Post
        My opinion? It doesn't take much investigation to come to that conclusion.
        Unless you've done the course you wouldn't know. Iv done the course. When i looked at the exam and compared the two frankly there's little relation. That was on 4.1. Seeing as you're a vExpert is the case the same with 5.0? Or have VMware aligned the course material with the exam?

Comment

Congrats Scott. I'm still gonna need to do the exam if I find the time. It will be probably next year or so... Is it about the same toughness as VCP4?

Scurlaruntings, IMHO the courseware with VCP4 didn't cover any really exam questions and I don't expect it will be with VCP5 as well.
          IIRC the VCP5 exam covers more practical knowledge. Personally I don't think I would read a letter again from the upgrade courseware
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
            Unless you've done the course you wouldn't know. Iv done the course. When i looked at the exam and compared the two frankly there's little relation. That was on 4.1. Seeing as you're a vExpert is the case the same with 5.0? Or have VMware aligned the course material with the exam?
            I based my reply on you being able to compare the VCP exam blueprint objectives against the course outline, both of which are available on vmware.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              Congrats Scott. I'm still gonna need to do the exam if I find the time. It will be probably next year or so... Is it about the same toughness as VCP4?

Scurlaruntings, IMHO the courseware with VCP4 didn't cover any really exam questions and I don't expect it will be with VCP5 as well.
              IIRC the VCP5 exam covers more practical knowledge. Personally I don't think I would read a letter again from the upgrade courseware
              I would say that the VCP5 exam is similar to the VCP4 exam yes, but with no "maximums" questions! As per my review in the initial post, I would say that hands-on experience is definitely important, there are some things you'll only discover by doing rather than reading.

I have to say though that the What's New courseware is actually quite useful for VCP4s who are attempting the VCP5 exam.

Comment

I've followed the What's new training at the moment it was about to released. Sure some new things are useful but a lot of my questions the trainer couldn't answer. Also not all the new features are IMHO handled deeply enough.
                Basically I think I just go through the 1500 pages or so and just practice a lot again in our lab.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Passed VCP5 with 339 (Passing score was 300) close, but a pass is a pass.

Exam was pretty tough and you definately need a hell of a lot more experience than just reading the maximums documentation. I didn't struggle with time and still had about 25 mins left at the end.

Just waiting on VCAP5-DCA and VCAP5-DCD to be released now.

Michael
                  Last edited by m80arm; 5th December 2011, 09:13.
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk
                  MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
                    Passed VCP5 with 339 (Passing score was 339) close, but a pass is a pass.

Exam was pretty tough and you definately need a hell of a lot more experience than just reading the maximums documentation. I didn't struggle with time and still had about 25 mins left at the end.

Just waiting on VCAP5-DCA and VCAP5-DCD to be released now.

Michael
                    Fantastic Michael.

Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post

If that's the case then i welcome the VCP5 with open arms. As i found VCP4 for very disappointing

Comment

Working...
                      X