Should I get the CompTIA A+ Cert?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get the CompTIA A+ Cert?

I am currently employed as a computer technician without any certifications, and I'm about to get fired because the control over the position has switched to the Ministry of Education (I live in Israel) and they require at least a computer technician diploma (a CompTIA A+ I presume).
    I am starting my studies for MCITP on the 10th and I was wondering if I should at all bother getting CompTIA or is it not worth my time?

Thanks!

Re: Should I get the CompTIA A+ Cert?

I'd check with the ministry and make sure the M CITP is recognised.. personally I don't see a lot of value in the A+ certifications, or the N+
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Man that sux!! It is even worse if you get replaced by someone who has the Diploma but doesn't have the same technical skills as you.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If they will give you time to get an MCITP, it will offer far more than the A+ does, but if you need "quick and dirty" certification, I suppose you have no choice.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Eniarku View Post
          I am currently employed as a computer technician without any certifications, and I'm about to get fired because the control over the position has switched to the Ministry of Education (I live in Israel) and they require at least a computer technician diploma (a CompTIA A+ I presume).
          I am starting my studies for MCITP on the 10th and I was wondering if I should at all bother getting CompTIA or is it not worth my time?

Thanks!
          That depends entirely on what will give you the best chance at staying employed. If they'll accept the MCITP, I would recommend sticking with that. A+ is often looked upon as an entry level certification that is little more than Geek Squad material (Not sure if that reference translates well into your country's consumer electronics culture). MCITP is the real deal of Microsoft certifications and is good resume material. Hiring managers will search for that acronym (as they will for A+, but in my opinion A+ brings with it a certain expectation of break/fix whereas the MCITP is more administration and systems engineering if it's the right one).

It also depends on where you want to go in your career. Would you like to attain a higher level SysAdmin / SysEngineer position? If so, MCITP is the better choice betwixt the twain.

In short: If they'll accept the MCITP and you can keep your job by virtue of those lovely letters, turn your nose up to the A+ and chase after whichever MCITP you're interested in. Is it the desktop support tech one? Or the MCITP:System Administrator?
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thank you for the kind answer, folks!
            Unfortunately, these guys are impatient and wont take my "I'm starting my 'studies' on the 10th of November, and besides I know all the material anyways" excuse to keep me employed.
            I've been working at my city's local council for over a year now, and everybody can vouch for me for doing a good job, but they just wont listen.

So now it's a matter of me finding a new job, so I thought perhaps getting an A+ while I study for MCITP (Server Administrator, I presume, as the tests are 70-640,70-642 and 70-646)

How far will I go with this? I may as well choose this is my career, because I can't exactly make a profit doing design/webdesign/photography in Israel, so I decided to get a certificate since it's the field in which I am currently employed.

Comment

Will an MCP certification count? If you know XP, the 70-270 exam is fairly straightforward and should be more valuable to you than (IMHO) A+
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Will an MCP certification count? If you know XP, the 70-270 exam is fairly straightforward and should be more valuable to you than (IMHO) A+
                I may look into it as a "quick and dirty" solution while I get my MCITP cert.
                I was hoping to finish MCITP here while getting some experience, then to move elsewhere and proceed to take on CCNA.

Comment

Thank you for the kind answer, folks!
                  Unfortunately, these guys are impatient and wont take my "I'm starting my 'studies' on the 10th of November, and besides I know all the material anyways" excuse to keep me employed.
                  I've been working at my city's local council for over a year now, and everybody can vouch for me for doing a good job, but they just wont listen.

So now it's a matter of me finding a new job, so I thought perhaps getting an A+ while I study for MCITP (Server Administrator, I presume, as the tests are 70-640,70-642 and 70-646)
                  So you're dropped no matter what you do? Even if you were to theoretically able to sit the A+ exam today? Wow. Nice.

How far will I go with this? I may as well choose this is my career, because I can't exactly make a profit doing design/webdesign/photography in Israel, so I decided to get a certificate since it's the field in which I am currently employed.
                  Keep it up! This career doesn't have to be your life's work, but at least it'll keep you fed until you can break into what you love the most.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks Nonapeptide!
                    I have a job interview/meeting thing later today, for what seems to be a similar position in a different city, so I'll see how that goes.

Comment

Personally i'd go for it. If you have the skillset already then you'll breeze it with no worries.

Will your current organisation pay for the exam???

It does seem a bit daft to require an entry level qualification for a job. I know MCSE qualified staff who struggled with questions i put to them in interviews that they should have been able to answer so its not all about the qualifications.

Comment

Working...
                      X