Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished BSc degree

Not quite as geeky as some of the other certs that get discussed on here

After 6 long years (long story - transferred uni half way through) I finally have my degree. Almost. Waiting for the results of 1 more module... but at least I have a good idea of what the classification will be
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Finished BSc degree

Congrats man, hard work, well done.

Get it on your signature!

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Thanks. Somebody hire me?

Started looking at other certs now, the first will be another non-IT one. City & Guilds 2377, probably in September. I'm competant to carry out tests and inspections, but that was awarded by my university so isn't officially recognised.
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Congrats Gareth. Its a very long road that i watched my wife go down a few years agon but the end is what its all for.

So what is the degree in???

Comment

Congrats.

I just realised that BSc isn't in my signature despite being one of my qualifications.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            So what is the degree in???
            Jumping through hoops much like an unpaid job :mgreen:

More specifically, Computer Science.

Originally posted by cruachan
            I just realised that BSc isn't in my signature despite being one of my qualifications.
            Fix it fix it fix it fix it! If you don't Jimmy will

Dear Jimmy... can you fix for me for cruachan to update his signature?

As well as the City & Guilds course in September I'll also be taking my driving test some time around then. And was told earlier today that while I'm on Jobseeker's Allowance, Open Uni courses are free, so I'll have a look to see if there's anything worthwhile.

And when I get time maybe I'll even get around to some Microsoft certs
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Sorted. Mine is also (although not Hons) in Computer Science. Did your course, like mine, promise much and deliver nothing but programming, programming and more programming? Apart from a course on OS and architecture basics, and another on databases I think every course I had was programming of some sort. All I learnt after 3 years was I didn't want to be a programmer.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Congratulation
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                  Did your course, like mine, promise much and deliver nothing but programming, programming and more programming?
                  In fairness, the second university wasn't all about code. There were a lot of other modules - for example I did modules on ITIL and service management, computing ethics, deveopment methodologies at a theoretical and management level (as opposed to practically) and management strategy. As well as the programming - testing with JUnit/Java, web dev with JSP/XSQL and the dissertation.

The first university on the other hand... the first thing we were told when we got there was "computer science isn't all about programming". First year modules: Programming and Data Structures (Java), Formal Aspects (Z), Computer Systems (Java). Second year modules: Software Applications (Java and others), Software Engineering (Java including a large dissertation-scale project), Theory of Computation (Z), Computer Systems II (Java), Programming & Reasoning (Haskell). I didn't do a final year at that university as that's when I transferred.

Software Applications module included computer graphics (Java3D), artificial intelligence (multi-agent system in Java using AgentSpeak), machine programming in C and C++ and web programming in JSP/J2EE. The operating systems submodules of Computer Systems and Computer Systems II covered concurrency, which included threaded programming in Java.

So... every module and practically every submodule requires programming. I did some second year modules too at my second university, and in one of those I got 84% without writing a single line of code. Slight difference?

If I wanted to spend my life programming, why would I not have enrolled on the Software Engineering course instead? Common sense, surely.

With regards to dissertations, first university - everyone writes a system in Java. Second university - you write software in a language of your choice if you want to, or you do a research project. Plus we get to pick what project we do, rather than having one assigned to us.

Further example of the differences between the universities are the names we use for the lecturers. First university: Snape, Borat, Carebear, the name I can't repeat without getting banned. Second university: David, Mary, Ian... ok so we do have ONE that we call Captain Wow, but I still think we're doing better than the first lot
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    Started looking at other certs now, the first will be another non-IT one. City & Guilds 2377, probably in September.
                    And also in September, driving test 7 years overdue, meh.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

I think some naming and shaming of the universities is in order!
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Good: De Montfort. Ex poly - seems to make a huge difference.

Bad: Durham. Excellent for "traditional" subjects like law or archaeology. Not good for computer science. The CS department was tacked onto the side of engineering as an afterthought and the course is several years out of date.

DMU offers around 12 different courses. Durham offers 2 (compsci and softeng), both of which have identical content.

The fact that I doubled my average overnight after transferring just demonstrates that you need to go to the right university for your style of learning.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

I was at St Andrews, which was the only Uni in the UK at the time offering the Internet Computing option on the Computer Science degree. What it really meant was more Java programming with a focus on internet technologies.

Maybe I just went too soon, there were several advertised courses on thing like Internet Law and E-Commerce which hadn't yet materialised as I was in the first year of the course.
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

And which celebrities did you end up playing golf with? A friend of mine has recently graduated from there.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

I was there a year before the royalty, so he copied me.

The place is around 90% full of unreconstructed tossers though, especially after it was announced that Prince William was going there.
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X