Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which direction would be suited in a Cisco Future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which direction would be suited in a Cisco Future?

Hi

I am new the forums but so far it is awesome! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I have completed my MCITP 2008 and was wondering which direction would be better to go. Start with the Cisco CCNA or go the Linux path and go for RHCE. Just down and dirty which one is more in demand and which one offers the highest salary

Re: Which direction would be suited in a Cisco Future?

Experience will give you the higher salary....
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      Experience will give you the higher salary....
      Unfortunately HR departments scan resumes for keywords like CCNA and MCSE before even looking at them...

Comment

Sure but over here you also getting tested before anyone makes an offer... The certifications will bring you in...
        So of course certifications are one part but in the end the experience will give you the higher salary...
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Personally, I'd go CCNA.
          MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Don't expect a higher salary if going for CCNA or RHCE or LPI.
            The big bucks are earned by guys that are certified on CCIE / CISSP certification level.

bio..

Comment

Originally posted by gfxrelay View Post
              Hi

I am new the forums but so far it is awesome! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I have completed my MCITP 2008 and was wondering which direction would be better to go. Start with the Cisco CCNA or go the Linux path and go for RHCE. Just down and dirty which one is more in demand and which one offers the highest salary

Please note that the info I provide below is based on Generalities, and trending:

I too have been wondering the same thing recently and actually sat down with a recruiter in the area and tried to nail down a career path as I have a bit experience wearing different hats. From our talks here is what I learned.

Recent trends show that the Higher paying jobs at current tend to be the Senior Database administrators (oracle and SQL) and the Senior Storage admins (Netapp, EMC, etc).

Unfortunately there isnt much storage certications (that I know of) so if your cert bound, I would stay with the Cisco tracks (like mentioned in previous posts). I am finding that the average Senior Network Engineer/Administrator makes around 5- 10 K more then the average Senior Server/Mail/Active Directory Administrator/Engineer.

I also found that the average Senior Linux\Unix\Redhat\Solaris\etc Administrator makes more then the Average Windows Administrator, but not as much as a Senior Network Administrator

So if your planning a career path down the road, years down the road... Maybe Storage or Networking would be a good choice.

Its also good to note that the being a Jack of All trades but master of none is a common factor in todays candidates due to recession. Many IT staff are being asked to wear many hats, and are asked to do some work that would normally be done specialized and or consultants. So having skills in a bunch of different technologies would help make yourself more marketable and is almost expected now days.

On the flip side, being Specialized in one area (Like an Oracle Administrator) can yield a High paying job, if you are fortunate enough to land one, and then with the proper social skills, you would be a high asset to your company / clients depending on the route you choose.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X