Clear All

• CompTIA A+, Net+, Security+: No Longer Lifetime Certifications

http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/c...enewal-policy/

CompTIA Blog: Cert Shelf Life
    CompTIA Blog: Addressing Certification Concerns / podcast

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy FAQs
    CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy
    CompTIA Certification Renewal Plan
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: CompTIA A+, Net+, Security+: No Longer Lifetime Certifications

Now this will be interesting for MS certs where a CompTIA elective is used -- will they expire or is it a "point in time" thing?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just cant see the point as to why comptia have decided to go down this route. My experience of Comptia certifications is that they are entry level certifications, so why would you want or indeed need to renew entry level stuff every 3 years?

When you look at the salary difference offered between comptia cert jobs and Microsoft cert jobs......There is no point in doing Comptia, considering that microsoft certifications do not expire.

Thats my personal opinion anyway
      Mark Couch
      A+, MCTS, MCITP(SA, EDA7)
      South Wales, UK.

Comment

My CompTIA certificates already expired when I passed the CCNA. Unless you're a 50 year old desktop tech with no career goals you won't waste any time renewing CompTIA junk.

Comment

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...d-for-life.ars

Comment

Schweet, A+ for life

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
              Schweet, A+ for life
              You gonna get that tatooed on your arm?
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                Schweet, A+ for life
                Wow same here. I always thought that my A+ was expired since I passed it about errr 9 years ago or so....
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

This is good news. My work requires me to have A+ even though I am beyond that certification. I was getting worried that I would have to renew another cert along with my Cisco and Microsoft over the next year.
                  MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Certs obtained before Jan 01 2011 will be lifetime from Comptia, after that it's every 3 years to recertify. Thank goodness I got my A+ like 9 years ago. Looking to get the Net + before 2011 so that'll be lifetime as well.

Comment

I've seriously stopped caring about CompTIA certs... but apparently some employers require it (which seems odd to me). So I'm wondering if I should at least get A+ and Network+ before then just so I have them.

Wish I didn't have to pay for them though.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

I used to work for a company that required all of it's techies to have either an MCP or a CompTIA cert if they were is desktop support. Weirdly they never asked what your MCP was in.

I looked at doing Network+ or Security+ towards my MCSE when I worked there, as they would have paid for it, but the exam content was so horribly out of date back then (2006) that it wasn't worth the effort.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I have a vision of a CCIE having to get a Network+ certification to comply to a stringent corporate policy.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Seen that...
                            Was once turned down for a contract because I didnt have A+ (apparently the double MCSE didnt count )

The amusing thing was that I had been training A+ candidates about a month previously
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

This is why we need an IT "union" to set the standards. Right now we have HR asshats going off data that was outdated a decade ago for their hiring processes.

Comment

Working...
                              X