Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ITIL - Self-Study or Course Method of Learning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITIL - Self-Study or Course Method of Learning?

Can anyone recommend the best way of obtaining the ITIL qualification, whether classroom or self-study? Any advice on whether this is worth studying or links would be appreciated.

Re: ITIL - Self-Study or Course Method of Learning?

I did foundation in a classroom. I found it really boring reading from a book and the class environment meant I could ask questions more easily. I would normally put in a disclaimer here about "it depends on you" but to be fair I don't really feel any love for ITIL aside from the fact managers love it.
    I certainly think it is worthwhile on the CV though..
    personal opinion only of course
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I've also followed a classroom many many years ago.
      Indeed it's very boring...

A classroom might it more easier to remember.
      Now talking about ITIL I don't even know if my ITIL certificate is still valid or not...
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I wll do the Classroom training.

Comment

Virtual,
          How have you studied so far?
          Everyone has their own preferences and to force yourself into a classroom when you dont like it will not work out well for you. Equally, committing your own time to book learning when you know you get distracted will not work out.

There are advantages and disadvantages for each so, IMHO, take time to consider your options and then decide
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Good point Ossian. I have done a mixture of both, and don't really mind either. I know that some courses aren't worth sitting on, so was wondering what the ITIL course was like.
            Last edited by Virtual; 23rd February 2009, 18:56.

Comment

It is probably one I would say it worth it. I paid for my own quali in that as well. Are you the type of person that likes to talk (design) or do (apply)?
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

I like to do both. I like to know all the ins and outs of anything and everything but also gain the practical experience in it.

Comment

I'm more apply than design so found a classroom better for this particular course. All of the MS and Cisco stuff I found primarily self study was better for me.. Read that as you may!
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. You've helped me decide but I won't hold it aganst you, should the course be less than desirable.

I am sure it will be a good one by the sounds of it. The content must be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                      I've also followed a classroom many many years ago.
                      Indeed it's very boring...

A classroom might it more easier to remember.
                      Now talking about ITIL I don't even know if my ITIL certificate is still valid or not...
                      If its Version 2 then the answer is no. Mine is also out of date. If i can be bothered i may upgrade to V3 but the principles and logic itself is fairly the same. They`ve introduced newer methodologies in V3.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                        I did foundation in a classroom. I found it really boring reading from a book and the class environment meant I could ask questions more easily. I would normally put in a disclaimer here about "it depends on you" but to be fair I don't really feel any love for ITIL aside from the fact managers love it.
                        I certainly think it is worthwhile on the CV though..
                        personal opinion only of course
                        Myself personally i think ITIL is awesome. What i dont like is the plethora of ITIL managers out there who try there best to implement a system without an intuitive process as to the innerworkings of the business/enterprise. Iv watched ITIL contractors earn a 1000 a day and when i grilled them they didnt have the faintest idea about ITIL`s core fundamentals and its relationship to the business nor its impact on change. In large organizations this is a basic prerequisite. Suffice to say that contractor after spending 6 months in my hospital was walked out of the door...

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                          If its Version 2 then the answer is no. Mine is also out of date. If i can be bothered i may upgrade to V3 but the principles and logic itself is fairly the same. They`ve introduced newer methodologies in V3.
                          Errr I think it was still version 1.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                            Errr I think it was still version 1.
                            Wow! Well if its green then thats just the foundation. If its V1 then yes mate your well out of date! At least im only 2-3 years behind.

Comment

Indeed I've done ITIL foundation, but to tell you the truth I really don't know where the cert is.
                              However back they didn't spoke about any version number so I assume it was version 1

Oh well, this year I'm probably going to do Prince2 and maybe I will re-certify myself for ITIL v3 then
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X