APC Data Center University Certifications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC Data Center University Certifications

I just found out about something called "Data Center University" from APC. Apparently they've got at least one certification and it costs US $295 (!). So... has anyone ever heard of this? Does it look valuable? Does anyone care? Why is it so expensive (as certifications go)?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: APC Data Center University Certifications

Is it all that expensive? It only works out at 200 (bloody credit crunch messing with the exchange rate) which doesn't seem too bad, assuming that it is actually a recognised cert. My PAT testing course cost double that
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Is it all that expensive? It only works out at 200 (bloody credit crunch messing with the exchange rate) which doesn't seem too bad, assuming that it is actually a recognised cert. My PAT testing course cost double that
      It's more than twice as much as MCP, LPIC, Oracle (most of them anyway) and Cisco exams (with the exception of the written portion of the CCIE exam), between ~$130 to $30 more expensive than CompTIA's certs, twice as expensive as BlackBerry exams, etc. etc.. And those certs are much more well known, which makes me less inclined to consider APC certification. Maybe they're trying to garner respect by pumping the price up. I think studies have shown that out of two identical products people are more inclined to trust the higher priced item. I've heard the same observation from some IT contractors. If they charge too little per hour they don't get the larger contracts from big MNEs. Humans is the craziest peoples.

Oh well, I just wondered if I had missed something and this APC certification program was more in-demand than I knew about.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I think if you're a contractor who's dedicated their life to designing datacentre installations, then it may be worthwhile - and your fee from an installation should easily cover the costs. If nothing else, it's another certificate for your client not to understand
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X