No announcement yet.

Server learning through certification / VMWare

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server learning through certification / VMWare

I am relatively new to the networking world. I am trying to improve my knowledge in all areas of computing/networking and to this end I have just completed my CCNA. However my knowledge of servers is severely lacking (non existent to put a point on it)

Therefore I was wondering firstly if anyone could suggest a good certification track that could improve my knowledge for use in the industry?

Also I have heard a little about VMWare servers. (I believe they are virtual server that you run on your home desktop? if I have read this correctly?) - Could anyone suggest / aid me in setting up a server such as this to help me learn the basics (and possibly more advanced features) of servers. I imagine i will need the server software...OS...various other things?

My home system is windows XP home, 2.6AMD semphron, 2GB RAM, 40GB masterHDD, 80GB slaveHDD (used as storage drive with no OS installed). My Laptop is XP home 1.4Athlon, 512mb RAM, 40GB HDD.

Any help in both areas would be GREATLY appreciated. Also in terms of the VMWare server I am looking to spend as little as possible (if anything) as I am on a very tight budget.

Thanks to all in advance.

Re: Server learning through certification / VMWare

vmware-server and virtualbox are both free
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:01.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Hey Stevo, I'm sure we'd be glad to help you out.

What you're asking is rather broad and encompasses a lot of different topics. I would suggest starting a few threads on more specific questions.

I'd suggest starting at least two:
      1) "How to setup a virtual server" - in the VM Ware forum
      2) "What is a good entry level certification track for server administration" - in the forum

From there, as you get more questions, you can start more threads to address those questions.

PS - Moved to the Misc. forum.

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Thread moved to Misc Cert forum
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **