Microsoft Sues Test King!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Sues Test King!

I thought this headline was pretty cool. I think it is about time that Microsoft (and other cert vendors) stop the companies that are flagrently selling test questions.

** Microsoft Sues Testing Materials Vendor Microsoft has filed a federal lawsuit against testing materials vendor TestKing, alleging that the company is illegally selling the actual answers to its certification exams. By Stuart J. Johnston
    Here is the full news story-
    http://mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=1015

What do you all think?

-David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Re: Microsoft Sues Test King!

I agree with you, David. I worked hard for my MCSE and I'd like it to count for something. If someone can just memorize the answers and go pass a test then it greatly devalues what I've accomplished.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If MS don't get a Pass Mark in the Lawsuit, will they sit the exam again? And how about our good friend Transgender? Having seen a demo and sat a real exam, the 2 were identical. Do they get to join TestKing?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think we have to be careful about the difference between, on the one hand:
        Real Exam format but questions made up based on study materials / MOCs etc and, on the other:
        Real Exam Questions to memorise the answers.

I am all for the first as it allows us to concentrate on our skills and not on how the exam mechanics work, but obviously against the second as it devalues the certifications of everyone who has taken them legitimately.

I am not familiar with TestKing but if they have been using actual exam questions, they deserve everything they get.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian & Biggles,

You both make good points.

I agree that test questions that cover similar topics or are based on the exam format are good.

I just get angry with the companies that say "FOR SALE: actual exam and answers" or they say "our test is very very very similar but not the real exam. You get their practice test and take the exam and find out that it was THE exam with only the names of the scenario companies changed. I'm not saying that TestKing did that. I just like the idea of Microsoft stopping some of the companies that are just selling test questions.

In the job of making practice tests, there is a very fine line. On one hand you want to make a good test to really prepare people so you would like to have actually taken the test. On the other hand, the NDA says "you cannot use anything you see while taking the test for any purpose or tell anyone else about it in any way, shape or form" (or something like that). So, to be technical about it, taking the test before writing a practice test can't help you because you can't use it. But, on the other hand, you want to use it so maybe you use the ideas, topics and concepts, but not too many of them because as soon as you do, you are breaking the NDA... etc. etc. That brings be back to my point that there is a very fine line there...

Enough of my rant...

Thanks for your comments Biggles & Ossian.

David
          David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
          Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
          TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
          Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Originally posted by daviddavis
            I just get angry with the companies that say "FOR SALE: actual exam and answers" or they say "our test is very very very similar but not the real exam. You get their practice test and take the exam and find out that it was THE exam with only the names of the scenario companies changed. I'm not saying that TestKing did that. I just like the idea of Microsoft stopping some of the companies that are just selling test questions.
            Thing is that they ARE selling exam crams that are 100% identical to Microsoft's exams, and the only thing they change is the company names. I sure hope Microsoft took so long till they sued because they were looking for enough evidence to accumulate.

Oh, and by the way, what about Cert Killer? Exam Sheets? They are all the same, and I sure hope someone puts a stop to this.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
              Thing is that they ARE selling exam crams that are 100% identical to Microsoft's exams, and the only thing they change is the company names.
              Sounds like someone is talking about their "old friend" Mr T. They do the same. Even their interface was the same as MS. (Or so I am told)
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good to hear that news about month ago at many places on internet.
                Good !!! Now MS certification's will become valuable just like Cisco certs are.
                Microsoft can make exams adaptive like Cisco does. Anybody given Cisco exams?
                Horrifying even if somebody knows everything ...Bit tension is in mind how ever..
                Damn.....Hardly 1 hour 30 mins time and $150 on bet..Hehe ....Microsoft must think
                of randomly changing exams frequently. After all it's a problem from Prometric
                and VUE as they arrange exams for Microsoft,Cisco,IBM,Sun ..Right?
                All in 1
                Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

about time they do something about these poeple! they are REALLY damaging the value of certifications! enough said

Comment

No surprise that MS filed a case that more than likely will span worldwide and will take several years to unfold. The underlying problem with these companies (not just testking) is that they are virtually untouchable and probably run the operation from third world countries, using offshore accounts for money transactions and fall out of the prosecuting jurisdiction of international laws.
                    As good as it may sound in headlines news from Microsoft, we probably won't see a wrinkle in testking's ongoing operation for many years to come.
                    PearsonVUE, Prometric and MS all make mega money from certs regardless of who compromises the exams.
                    ITPro
                    MCSE, CCNA

Comment

Working...
                    X