Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSE - Where to start?

Hi,

I'm about to start my MCSE 2003 and have purchased the MS Core Pack. Can anyone suggest which exam to start with and does anyone have any pointers to achieve success?

Thanks

Re: MCSE - Where to start?

How about 70-270 as a starter. Any pointers, yes, forget IT, become a chef!! Seriously, get yourself a PC that you can install VMWare or the similar Microsoft product, create a network, fiddle with it so much you break it then try and fix it. If you can't fix it recreate the network and break it again and again and again etc etc.

Being employed in IT in some way would also be useful and always aim high. Remember too that a failure is a learning experience and not the end of the world.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I've been in the industry for 15 years however I've never had the time to concentrate on certification. I've much experience with Windows XP, Windows NT4, Windows Server 2000/2003 amongst other platforms, devices and software, however I'm trying to aim to get MCSE2003 as a first certification. I've already got the core certification guides however these do not include 70-270. Do I still start with 70-270?

Thanks Again.

Comment

You don't have to start with 70-270 but eventually you're going to have to sit for a client operating system exam and it will need to be either Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional.

If it were me (and it was me at one point in time), I would knock out the client exam first. Once you get into the 4 core exams there's going to be quite a bit of overlap and you will want to do all of the 4 core exams one right after another. Don't forget about a design exam and an elective exam too. Total of 7 for you.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

OR just to confuse you further, you do the 2000 track first and then the 2003 Upgrade exams. You get 2 for the price of one (well almost).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I agree with Biggles on that. Also, the W2K exams are quite old and you can easily find a lot of good used books, plus tons of dumping material, practice tests and more, with many of them being free.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I started with 70-270... I've used XP every day since it came out so that was pretty easy. You shouldn't have a problem with that at all. I did 70-290 next... since there is a TON of overlap between 70-270 and 70-290. I'd say 70-80% of it was overlap. I scored around 980 on each of those. I've only been in the industry since my senior year in high school (2001) so you should be able to knock these things out of the park being 15 years in.

I'm working on 70-291 now.
              A+, Network+, Security+
              MCSE+Security on Server 2003

Comment

The new MSPress training kit for 70-291 (2nd edition) was delivered to me a couple of days ago and I'm into the 4th chapter already.
                Im pleased to say that the content missing from the first edition has thankfully found it's way into this updated version just released.

Best of all it ships with an eval copy of 2003 SRV Enterprise SP1, + R2 and a ton of other goodies to help you pass the exam.

So far so good! Thanks MSPress!
                Last edited by itpro; 1st August 2006, 04:00.
                ITPro
                MCSE, CCNA

Comment

You can also download Server 2K3 Enterprise R2 for free from MS if you want to play with that in a virtual machine via Virtual PC (also free from MS).
                  A+, Network+, Security+

Comment

i64X, any chance you have the links for thoses free downloads that you could put into a post?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sure! Here's the eval version of Server 2003 Enterprise R2:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx

And here's Virtual PC:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...loads/sp1.mspx
                      A+, Network+, Security+

Comment

Thanks!! Appreciate it.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2