Workbook?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workbook?

Is there such a thing as a workbook for MCSE study? I'm one of those people who needs some hands on as well as studying. I've already taken all of the classes, but they can only go over so much in a small amount of time.

Basically I'm looking for example problems and/or configurations to set up.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Workbook?

MS Press self paced study guides for certifications have labs in them that you can complete after each chapter. They are fairly good for practical/hands on experience.

Do you have a lab set up at home for certification? If so, what kind?

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Nothing set up yet, but I got a full version of Server 2003 Enterprise w/ 25 CALs when I took the class. The classes were full MCSE 2003.

Are the books / labs you mentioned written better than the MS official course books?

What's mainly stopping me from setting up a lab right now is figuring out where I'm gonna put the server and whatnot. One day I've got to wire up more of the house, or grab another wireless card.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired
        Nothing set up yet, but I got a full version of Server 2003 Enterprise w/ 25 CALs when I took the class. The classes were full MCSE 2003.

Are the books / labs you mentioned written better than the MS official course books?
        Just about anything is better than Microsoft Official Cirriculum (MOC). MOC is fluffy. Let me clarify that actually. It's not that the MOC is bad, it's just that the MOC is not nearly enough to get you by the exams. The MOC and the classroom training will get you some good knowledge (and your mileage will vary based on what kind of trainer you get), but if you want to pass exams, you must supplement the classroom training and the MOC with a certification book that in many cases will be no less than 500 pages unless it's an Exam Cram book. If you've already taken the class and have the MOC, Exam Cram might be right for you to pass the exam. Be aware that generally the Exam Cram books have no labs for hands on training. What Exam Cram gives you is the straight 100% dirt on what you need to know for the test. Also be aware that in many cases, just one book is not enough to pass an exam. Even Exam Cram may not be enough. Some people make it a policy to always read two books per exam. That is a fairly good guarantee that each book will supplement the other for whatever is missed in either.

I will say that I used the Exam Cram book for exam 70-219 (Active Directory Design). The Exam Cram book and a lot of real world experience was enough for me to pass the exam. I feel that the DESIGN exams are more "theoretical book knowledge" anyway as opposed to hands on in the trenches knowledge.

Another resource you could look at is CBTs. PETRI.co.il promotes TrainSignal videos which I hear from others are pretty good. Definitely check them out!

Originally posted by Wired
        What's mainly stopping me from setting up a lab right now is figuring out where I'm gonna put the server and whatnot. One day I've got to wire up more of the house, or grab another wireless card.
        Tell me exactly what you have for computer hardware (boxes, processors, speed, memory, hard disk, etc.). There's a revolution sweeping the industry called "virtualization" that may be right up your alley that may eliminate any decisions on "where do I put the server". Chances are that what you use for a desktop computer will be your server.

Respond back.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X