Passed 70-296

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed 70-296

I passed 70-296 with a score of 850, 700 being the passing mark.

Section scores are approximated as follows:
    Planning and Iplementing an Active Directory Infrastructure 90%
    Managing and Maintaining an Active Directory Infrastructure 100%
    Planning and Implementing a User, Computer, and Group Strategy 70%
    Planning and Implementing Group Policy 85%
    Managing and Maintaining Group Policy 100%
    Planning and Implementing Server Roles and Server Security 100%
    Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Network Infrastructure 100%
    Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining Server Availability 100%
    Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining Network Security 85%
    Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining Security Infrastrucutre 50%

On about question 15 my test station computer locked up with a gray screen for a good 2 minutes as I clicked the "Next question" button. It recovered on its own but I was about to go grab one of the test administrators. The reason I decided to wait is because every 5-10 seconds the arrow would turn to an hour glass giving me hope that it was actually busy doing something.

There were a few items on the exam that I don't think were covered in the MS Press book including 2 on EMS so thanks go out to Osprey on the certtutor.net forums for including the link to the EMS primer in your study notes. That is plenty to handle the EMS questions. In contrast to 70-292, 70-296 was pretty light on DNS questions. 296 was definitely more focused on security, automation, group policy, domain/site structure, and server roles. Although generally the topics overlapped quite a bit between the two exams, I got a definite feel that the focus shifted heavily. ie. a large focus of 292 was DNS. DNS had only slight focus in 296.

Which exam was harder? Both were difficult. Both I used almost all exam time to complete with little time for review of marked questions. Both were very wordy as is Microsoft's exam style. Both had questions with multiple panes and scrollbars from h*ll that needed a 24" flat planel to display all information (not quite as bad as 70-219 though). Honestly I'd say the two exams are pretty close in difficulty but I do think 292 takes the honors as being the more difficult exam. I studied like crazy for both exams but while taking the exams, the answers is 296 came more naturally to me as "oh this is the obvious answer, those two choices are obviously not the answer". In 292 the answers were not as obvious. In 292 I honestly didn't know if I had passed or not when I ended the exam. In 296 I was 95% confident in a pass based on my familiarity and comfort level in answering the questions.

Re-reading the IPSEC, Wireless, PKI and CA chapters last night brought much more understanding and tied up a lot of loose ends and anxiety for me. Had I not brushed up, these sections could have doomed me as they were one of the more primary focuses of the exam.

My goal was to be ready to take both 292 and 296 by the last week in June so that I could take advantage of the Microsoft 2nd shot offer. As it turns out, I've finished ahead of schedule and did not get to use the 2nd shot as planned. I may sit 70-218 to achieve MCSA on Windows 2000 between now and the end of June. If I fail, I can use the 2nd shot. As far as the Security or Messaging designations, those will have to wait, if ever. I need a bit of a break right now and my family needs some attention for being patient with me. Of the two, Messaging is more desireable to me since I'd like to be more knowledgeable with MS Exchange server.

In retrospect, I feel that MS should ensure all exam material is covered in the MS Press books that they approve. Content that is not in the book should be removed from exams. I know that MOC doesn't contain enough information to pass the exams, it doesn't even come close now, but I do expect self paced training to cover everything. The exams are stressful enough without having to worry about what things are not covered in the book. There may be differing opinions on this but that's OK. This is not a reflection at all on the book authors, I think they did a great job. I think this is the responsibility of Microsoft.

MCSE 2003 - better late than never (and hey, MCSA too - bonus)

Thanks,
    Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: Passed 70-296

Sweet! Way to go
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Nice one m8

Whats next on the agenda then??

Comment

I'm thinking of writing 70-218 for giggles. That would give me MCSA on 2000.
        I've got Citrix PS4 training coming up in July so after I conclude that I will probably upgrade my CCA certification from XP to PS4.

I'd like to write an Exchange 2003 exam, like 70-284, to get more familiar with MS Exchange Server. That would also give me MCSA: Exchange.

So many certs, so little time. Meaningless for my career but meaningful to me.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
          I'm thinking of writing 70-218 for giggles. That would give me MCSA on 2000.
          I've got Citrix PS4 training coming up in July so after I conclude that I will probably upgrade my CCA certification from XP to PS4.

I'd like to write an Exchange 2003 exam, like 70-284, to get more familiar with MS Exchange Server. That would also give me MCSA: Exchange.

So many certs, so little time. Meaningless for my career but meaningful to me.

Know how you feel. I've got both upgrade exams to do also but i'm not using it consitently everyday. Not getting enough experience with it to warrant going for the qualification.

I just sat the exchange 2000 exam and boy was it a bit harder than i expected. BTW if you pass your exchange exam you'll become a MSCA - Messaging.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

jas,

First congrats, you seem to moving right along.

Second, just curious, are there any simulation questions on 296 similiar to the ones on 292? Getting ready to sit for the exam soon.

Good luck on future exams,

Wiley
            MSCA (2000 & 2003), MCSE (2000 & 2003), A+, Net+
            Next exams:70-298, 70-299 & Security+ for MCSE + Security
            "Never argue with a fool, because someone standing 15 feet away will not know which one of you is the fool."

Comment

I never got any true simulation questions on either exam. Several drag and drop, hotspots, etc. but no "true" simulation questions. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever gotten a true simulation type question on any of my MCSE certs.

Jas

Comment

I had several on my 292. And my students have had 4 to 5 on each of their 290 and 291. Things like configuring user accounts and permission, setting up SUS server, setting up IIS for a web site.

Nothing really hard (if you know your stuff) and in fact I enjoyed the break from the multiple choice questions.

Only problem I had was the underlying software. I had one question that I had to restart 3 times before it would accept my answers. Like any other new technology, just needed the bugs (excuse me, undocumented enhancements) worked out.

Good weekend to all,

Wiley
                MSCA (2000 & 2003), MCSE (2000 & 2003), A+, Net+
                Next exams:70-298, 70-299 & Security+ for MCSE + Security
                "Never argue with a fool, because someone standing 15 feet away will not know which one of you is the fool."

Comment

Working...
                X