No announcement yet.

Passed 70-292

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed 70-292

The 70-292 beast has been slain. I am happy to report that I passed this morning on my first try. I did not have to resort to using the Microsoft 2nd Shot for this exam although I was fully prepared to do so and was pretty much assuming I'd have to based on all the train wreck horror stories that have evolved with the "harder 2nd version" of the 70-292 exam.

40 questions. I scored a 775. 700 is passing.

My section scores were as follows (and I'm estimating because all I see is a bar graph, no actual percentage numbers):
    Managing Users, Computers, and Groups: 85%
    Managing and Maintaining Access to Resources: 100%
    Managing and Maintaining a Server Environment: 77%
    Managing and Implementing Disaster Recovery: 60% (puzzling... I'm strong in this area, but not according to MS)
    Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Name Resolution: 95%
    Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Network Security: 92%

Before clicking "start" on the exam, I spent the first 15-20 minutes brain dumping some easy to forget items onto one of my dry erase boards. Default DNS settings, default zone settings, rules surrounding DNS, etc. I focused heavily on my DNS studies for this exam since many people on the internet were saying scoring was heavily weighted on DNS. Up until last night I was having an impossible time memorizing the rediculously mundane details of group scope rules. I developed an insanely small diagram that was easy to remember and provided all of the group scope rules that I couldn't memorize easily. Problem solved.

I got hit with most of the longer style DNS questions with exhibits fairly early on in my exam. I paid extra special attention to the DNS questions as far as importance of getting them correct on the exam. That, combined with some of the complexity of the questions, I spent a lot of time in deep think. I started to panic when I looked up at the clock and noticed I had used 50% of my exam time already and I was still on question 15 of 40. I was in big trouble if the questions were going to continue at this pace. Fortunately, I got through "that" section of the exam and most of the remaining questions I was able to get through much quicker. I ended up finishing the exam with 7 minutes to spare and that was after quickly breezing through 10 questions that I had marked for review.

As far as exam content compared with the Microsoft Press book, some questions were fairly straight forward. Some questions were more complex but could be solved by applying logic, sometimes deep logic. A few questions were straight out of left field. I don't know who these administrators and users are in the exam questions but some of them should be fired based on their required actions and the solutions provided. As always with MS exams though, sometimes you have to pick the best answer of the bunch and just move on. The Microsoft Press book did not provide 100% of the answers that are covered on this exam. Based on my exam I felt it covered about 90%. Certainly it covers all of the topics in the exam but sometimes does not go into detail enough in some of the areas to answer questions correctly. I can think of two IIS questions I got off the top of my head that were not explicitly covered by the book, however, I knew the correct answers since I've been working with IIS since 1997. Even at that, there was an IIS question that involved a VB script command that I was not aware of at all. I used my best judgement and moved on. The moral here is that while the MS Press book covers most of the content, the exam has questions that get into greater detail and therefore require you to spend some extra time digging deeper than the book goes on some topics.

And then there was the question which I was absolutely sure had asked the incorrect question or the answers were incorrect regarding stub zones which I would not mind discussing in private with anyone who has already passed this exam. On this question, I made an assumption of what I thought the question was supposed to say and I chose the best answer for that. I knew just what they were getting at but they screwed up the question which made the answers not right. At the time of the question, I felt I was going to leave feedback on it, but by the end of the exam, I was to anxious to be done with it all to see how I scored.

This exam was definitely a challenge even after studying for several weeks straight and cramming all of last night and 2 hours this morning. Even when you know the content, MS will ask questions or twist the wording around in a way that nobody in real life would be doing it this way so real world experience can't help. One question came up on MBSA (which I use very frequently) that really had me second guessing the correct answer. Since it was a "choose all that apply" type question, I had every opportunity to get the question wrong. I know MBSA backwards and fowards, except for one little checkbox and what its affect would have on a scanning as quickly as possible. A lot of people don't think about small stuff like that in the hustle and bustle of an overworked production environment.

I studied what I felt was a boatload of topics and material for this exam, which in 40 questions only tested me on probably 5-10% of what I crammed. That is the nature of upgrade exams and I had the same experience with the 4-in-1 70-240 upgrade exam.

What I used to study for this exam:
    -An incredibly patient and understanding wife and 4 mo. daughter
    -MS Press book 70-292/79-296 including the text question in the back of the book (pretty helpful) but not the CDROM questions (never looked at 'em)
    -O'Reilly Windows Server 2003 DNS book (I used this for supplemental info and to clarify some things. I didn't read it cover to cover [yet])
    -Study Notes posted at (there are some gems in this puppy)
    -10 years real world home and corporate experience with IIS, SUS, WSUS, Windows Server 2003 (NT 3.51, NT 4.0, and Windows 2000), Active Directory, RDP, Terminal Services, VMware lab at home with 25 virtual servers, tape backup infrastructure,

Onward to 70-296, exam probably early to mid next week. With a pass of 70-292 I feel more confidence with 79-296 although RRAS and Certificate Authority/encryption are my absolute weakness.

Thank you for your help and encouragement.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: Passed 70-292

Congratulations, Jasonboche!

The "upgrade" exam is a toughie and you have done well

Here's to 296 and MCSE again!

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **