Seeking Advice - Passing the 70-290

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Advice - Passing the 70-290

With 20 years in the tech industry dealing with designing and installing networks, security, hardware installation, building computers, and doing low-level-type sys admin stuff, having a very high technical aptitude, THEN working intensely with Server 2003 (4 networked PCs) for 8 weeks (full-time), scoring 100% or near 100% on the MS test exams, Transcender, as well as several other test exams, you'd think passing the 70-290 would be a lock? Wrong. Oh, also having CISSP and CCNA certs show this is no dummy here.

The presence of questions that are NOWHERE in the study materials (questions involving VB scripting, for instance) pretty much guarantee failure. Having failed the exam (by 2 questions) for the second time, what's a person to do? Is this stuff in the XP Workstation study materials (haven't taken 70-270 yet - should that be taken first - will that help)?

Or would it be better to go the Server 2000 route, and THEN upgrade to 2003? The questions seem designed to trip you up. It takes more time to figure out WHAT they are actually trying to ask, then to determine the correct answer, but seem to have gotten over that hump. Just the random questions from out of the blue are the fly in the soup!

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated. How do you know WHAT to study when the study materials are NOT complete???

Esme

Arrgghh... I know that feeling. The Win2003 cert track is no child's play, not like it used to be in NT/2000. I believe MS did that for a reason, and as a matter of fact I can agree with them on this issue - As long as the NT/2000 certs were a ghostly joke of themselves, as long as paper MCSEs roam the plains, as long as anyone with good memory can pass with flying colors - as long as all that is true, the MCSE cert was/is a joke, not a real cert.

What they're trying to do here (and I speak for myself, not for MS) is to make the exams harder than ever and actually make passing them as hard as possible (well, not that hard, they're still no match for the CISCO certs). With that in mind, MS actually think that they'll be able to put some real value into the Win2003 MCSE cert, just like it used to be at the dawn of time, before the outbreak of the dumps and the transgenders (oops, sorry, transcenders).

So you see, the easiest way for you to pass these exams is to cert on W2K them upgrade to 2003.

That's my 2 cents.

HTH
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

What they're trying to do here (and I speak for myself, not for MS) is to make the exams harder than ever and actually make passing them as hard as possible (well, not that hard, they're still no match for the CISCO certs).
      LOL - The CCNA was a cakewalk compared to this monster!! Although they did have the same sort of convoluted questions. I guess some of it's where your experience lies. Thanks for the tip - something I've been mulling over, and something to consider, while MCSE 2000 is still available.

Esme

Comment

Not any more a kid

Yes you are right this exam is the toughest ever, I had passed it with too much effort, and I really thought I will fail the exam. I think you have to go into the 2000 first. By the way on November 2003 I passed the A+ 2003 objective and believes me it was scary to death, you can not imagine that you will pass these exams.
        Best regards,
        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Not any more a kid

Originally posted by sanvour
          Yes you are right this exam is the toughest ever, I had passed it with too much effort, and I really thought I will fail the exam. I think you have to go into the 2000 first. By the way on November 2003 I passed the A+ 2003 objective and believes me it was scary to death, you can not imagine that you will pass these exams.
          I will agree that this exam was tough, but I think the 70-294 was tougher than this... (Although I took the 290 3 times before I passed it)

-Me
          --I love me and I think everyone should...

--Insanity is just another state of mind...

--Procrastination is like masturbation. It feels good at the time but in the end you're only f*cking yourself.

Comment

Yes you are right this exam is the toughest ever

Sure it is...i failed it

Gonna try again soon.[/quote]

Comment

i've failed the 70-290, too. really close, though.
              i think what messed it up for me was 1 of those simulation questions.
              the damned things don't save all the options you chose. it seems like microsoft wants to have it done in a certain way and doesn't save it otherwise.

you'd think that'd make it easier but i must say it doesn't.
              i'll retake it in a few weeks.
              Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

I would not do the 2000 stream and then do the upgrade exams to upgrade certs from 2000 to 2003 as I think the upgrade exams are actually more difficult than the individual exams (why wouldn't it be they are composed of individual exams). The problem may lie with your study techniques. There are plenty of resources out there to address this. See one of my previous posts on preparing for ms 2003.

Comment

The 70-290 exam is a joke, I took it today and the software CRASHED, so I am not taking the results too seriously....like others have said, the content in the exam is not covered ANYWHERE in the study material. For instance, I was asked a question today regarding Fast Ethernet full duplexing......and what options to configure to allow hosts to NOT drop connections?!

Come on MS, this is a joke!

Comment

Re: Seeking Advice - Passing the 70-290

Originally posted by Scottatron
                    like others have said, the content in the exam is not covered ANYWHERE in the study material. For instance, I was asked a question today regarding Fast Ethernet full duplexing......and what options to configure to allow hosts to NOT drop connections?!

Come on MS, this is a joke!
                    hello to all, I wasnt even going to reply until i saw this post, I got that EXACT question and it wasnt even in our course (although we did do one night making cables and going over that stuff) but it WAS NOT in any of our materials or on the friggin self test or anything, as far as the exam sims, thats an interesting theory, I often wondered if the sims had to be done in a certai nway, i dont actually think ANYONE knows HOW they score these exams. I have actually decided (after speaking with my instructor) to launch an ONLINE website and hopefully get feedback from others, I mean come on I had a 622 out of a 1000, sure im not the best test taker, but sheesh, i brought my results back to my instructor and she said (this does nothing to help me help you) is microsoft such a corporate kisass pansy that they cant even tell us where WE WENT WRONG, how the hell else are we ever going to learn if we dont have an accurate idea of where our mistakes lie.

anywho just my rant,

anybody interested in finding more about that site email me

[email protected]

remove NOSPAM

thanks

Jason harris
                    Network Administrator
                    MCP 2003
                    Citadel Worldwide

Comment

This is what I liked about Novell. When you got your results they told you what sections your failed questions were in. You then knew what areas you were deficient in.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When i failed 224 i got my report sheet and was given a rundown of all the areas tested.

Comment

I have also failed the 70-290 three times. 674,622,674. I think that some of the simulations are just bogus. I have been studying very hard for several months. I believe that I will Pass on my fourth attempt. I believe that it was shadow copies that tripped me up last time. The question wanted a size limit of 10mb but the minimum is 100mb this just messed me up and I blew the simulation.

Comment

better luck next time man, yeah MS really plays with you on these two (the 290-291) our teacher thinks it is to "weed out" the ones who are just "memorizing" their way through.

She said that after this the tests are not as hard, by comparison.

Well back to the 290 , i retook it a week ago for the second time and i passed with a 700 dead on, doesnt matter as long as i passed. Its a tough exam, and i heard 291 is murder compared to this.

As far as the logisitics, people the world over swear that the Simulations are in error on those exams, my teacher said she wouldnt be surpised if Ms issued a report soon saying they found an error in the grading on those exams.

I doubt this will happen, after all if we fail then we resit, and THEY make more money that way.

Oh and by the way i also got a 622 on my FIRST try, so that is another reason to suspect that the scoring is set somehow, i mean have you ever heard anyone getting an 801-927-734, no i think its set somehow.

Just my thoughts.

Jay
                            MCP
                            Network Administrator
                            Last edited by jaytechnonothing; 7th February 2006, 04:54.

Comment

Taking the first exam doesn't help at all. I took the exam for the first module (the one for Windows XP client) and passed first time and I've failed 70-290 twice now - funnily enough got the same score on both exams.

It's not the sims I find hard it's when they question you on something that wasn't covered in the coursebook. I also bought exam cram and transcenders practice exam and I still kept getting questioned on stuff I've not read before!

I think MS are putting the goalposts a tad too far apart on this exam.

Comment

Working...
                              X