Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for Exam

Dear Colleagues,

I am at a crossroads and have a couple questions that I hope you can help me with. I thank you in advance for your consideration.

Question One. How do I get experience with Active Directory from the server side without having experience with it? This is not possible form me at work. I'm investigating volunteering somewhere. But for now, are there any good simulations/labs online? Does anyone know about the MeaserUp online labs? I need something with challenging and advanced situations so that I can prepare for certifications. I am interested in taking Microsoft Server 2008R2 or Microsoft Server 2012. That leads me to the next question.

Question Two. Should I prepare for Microsoft Server 2008R2 or 2012?
    Again, I thank you in advance. I graciously accept any suggestions you may have.

Tom

Re: Preparing for Exam

Hi Tom (another Tom)

For the experience, I would suggest a practice lab (any old hardware you can get your paws on, HyperV/VMware and then demo versions of the server OSes) you can break as much as you like. Work/volunteering gives you access to real networks, but less chance of trying things out.

2008R2 and 2012 are (IMHO) equally valid, but I would be inclined to go with the newer OS as most of what you learn transfers back OK
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! I have installed VirtualBox on my laptop and downloaded a demo version of Server2008. Then several times I did all the labs in the book MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (2nd Edition). I also used Transcender practice tests.

When I felt ready, I took the exam and failed, 617/700. Questions on the exam were much more advanced than the labs in the book. Most of the labs in the book dealt with installing something. Questions on the exam dealt with advanced configuration and fixing something that was broke.

So the question is where can I find labs that will deal with advanced configuration and broken services. I'm considering the MeasureUp practice lab. I was hoping someone on this board had experience with MeasurUp labs or any other labs.

Thanks again Tom. I appreciate you help.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by BoatGuy View Post
        Tom,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! I have installed VirtualBox on my laptop and downloaded a demo version of Server2008. Then several times I did all the labs in the book MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (2nd Edition). I also used Transcender practice tests.

When I felt ready, I took the exam and failed, 617/700. Questions on the exam were much more advanced than the labs in the book. Most of the labs in the book dealt with installing something. Questions on the exam dealt with advanced configuration and fixing something that was broke.

So the question is where can I find labs that will deal with advanced configuration and broken services. I'm considering the MeasureUp practice lab. I was hoping someone on this board had experience with MeasurUp labs or any other labs.

Thanks again Tom. I appreciate you help.

Tom
        Experience comes with using it IMO.

Install it, break it then fix it is about all you can do on a home based system.

Usually the exam objectives are pretty spot on and can be followed. I will however say that there are times on the exams where experience of other products does play a part in the correct answer at the end.

Have a look at some of these labs guides

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ab-guides.aspx

There are also the virtual labs

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/v.../bb467605.aspx

and there are plenty of videos on TechNet that will help
        Last edited by wullieb1; 3rd June 2014, 01:01.

Comment

wullieb1

Thanks for the links. Good stuff there.

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X